Problem with Avast Home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

Hello guyz,
I am using Avast, as suggested by one member here, from last 1months. I havent got any problem yet expect I marked a drop in my internet speed.
Although it is a very good antivirus and resource friendly too so I dont want to remove it.
Actually, when I connect to net after uninstalling(or before I used) Avast Home my connection speed shown in the pop-up is 100Mbps(although it is not). But while using Avast it shows only 10Mbps.Although, my speed is not that much eventhough I mark a reasonable difference in surfing speed(as indicated by the pop-up). But when I use download managers like DAP speed is ok. Speed is slow only while surfing site or chatting.
So, whats the problem?
Thanks in advance.
thehacker_again

i have heard the same thing and hav experienced it too. i talked a a few people and they say the reason is because avast uses up alot of memory to do its thing, as a result slowing down everything else. i've heard though if u go with AVG, it protects all the same, but with less memory usage as a result enhancing your computer experience, lol. I do not know this for a fact s dont go and change ur antivirs program. w8 till one of the moderators come by, they will have a better understanding.
-shivmister

Check that Avast is not trying to update every hour.Once a day is plenty.

Make sure it doesn`t have scheduled scans.Just do full scans manually.

Also uninstall DAP.It`s ad supported and could be slowing you connection

by itself.See HERE

I recently acquired avast yet I can't find how do you scan with it manually? All I see is avast-on access scanner and is that like a full time running in the background virus protection?

go to the quick launch bar, and right click on the avast icon. then click on "Start avast! Antivirus" this will load the manual scanner, it should preform a memory scan before it loads. wen it is on click on the harddrive icon "localdisks" and choose the type of scan u want, a quick, or thorough and if u want to scan archives. then decide if u want to scan removable media for example floppies and or CD/DVD. and u can even be more spefic about it if u want to scan a certain file. These three item are the three buttons on the right hand side of the program. then clivk the lightening bolt to update definitions if an update is neccesary. finally press the play button to start the scan. depending on how many files u have on ur computer and the type of scan u hav chosen it can take any where between 30mins to 2 hrs for the scan. the only downside is with avast is that u have to be onhand wen it finds a virus during the scan, because u hav to choose right then and therer about wat u want to do, delete it, put into virus chest (aka quarentine it), or to ignore it. unless u know r comp is clean on a good basis i do not suggest u run it over night, becasue if it finds something, it will just w8 till u get up in the morning to tell it wat to do, then it will contine with the rest of the scan. like i said above avast takes up allot of processes, but has yet to fail me. the manual scanner it self wen it runs does not take up that much, u can proably work as it runs in the background. also from the main page u can control ur settings for the resident scanner also.

hopefully this helps u to understand how avast works.
-shivmister

Po`Girl said:
Check that Avast is not trying to update every hour.Once a day is plenty.

Make sure it doesn`t have scheduled scans.Just do full scans manually.

Also uninstall DAP.It`s ad supported and could be slowing you connection

by itself.See HERE
nope. that is not slowing my connection. the settings u told i have already done on my comp. i dont run dap continuosly or download frequently. i close dap from taskbar(near clock) when d.load completes.
but thanks for the effort.

thehacker said:
nope. that is not slowing my connection. the settings u told i have already done on my comp. i dont run dap continuosly or download frequently. i close dap from taskbar(near clock) when d.load completes.
but thanks for the effort.
but where is howard???

What are you expecting howard to tell you ?

That you have spyware ? That you should try AVG instead ?

For the former go HERE follow all the steps,then post the three logs

in the Security forum.For the latter go HERE

Anti viruses can slow computers,but not connection speeds..

Dear I know that anti-viruses can slow computer but not internet speeds and that is the reason why I have posted it here. And secondly, it happens.AVs slow speeds because they scan each and every packet of data, being transfered,for viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back