Problem With Booting XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
So ive been using my windows xp quite a while and now I got a serious problem
I was using Partition Magic 8 To create some space on my computer
to install FreeBSD on it, it worked, but then I installed FreeBSD 5.2 on it, everything a-ok except for my
master boot record was gone. So i ran my windows xp with a boot disk
it worked, i used BOOTQuest for windows to try starting my freebsd
My windows rebooted, started with the disk, and then it gave a error
AutoCHK cannot be found, everything i try, like booting in safe mode,
console or going to a previous configuration does not work,
Now i have a bootmanager of FreeBSD running so i can start my freebsd (wich im working on now)
and i can try to start windows XP with the other boot option.
And so i cant start windows xp anymore cuz of the autochk problem
It starts, says, autochk program not found or something like that
and then it gives a serious fatal error and the computer stops.
I CAN access my windows partition from freebsd so everything may not
be lost yet, PLZ HELP!!!!

Depending on how you loaded the freeBSD bootloader, you may need to change some options so that windows gets to play dumb.

Windows does *not* like to see itself as a secondary partition. It complains some days when it's the primary.

A quick google will show you how to load windows from your bootloader. In lilo and grub, you have to pass an option that tells it to hide the other partitions from window's sight (which is fine since win only reads FAT/NTFS)

If fixing the bootloader options doesn't help, then it's time to break out the recovery console that Didou mentions. ;)

Never let the BSD installer touch your partition table!
Make the partition for BSD with some other program and install the BSD bootloader on that partition too.

Ok, i'll try the recovery console, but how do i get in it?
When i press f2 when booting from the cdrom, it asks for a disk. Now if you can help me finding how to change the bootloader, that would be a great help, cuz im working on a real low resolution with "links", not so handy if you ask me
:(

Ok dudes, im back on windows, i got it fixed by setting my windows partition back to active, it seems it wasnt anymore.
The Master Boot loader of my freebsd is still there, and in the menu the the ?? for windows replaced by DOS, everything A-OK then ! thanks for the help even tough it wasnt really necessary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back