Problem with chkdsk and Disk Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.
so ive been getting messages saying ' Windows - Corrupt File' "the file or directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility"
as well as various messages where the C:\WINDOWS.... is not always system32.

i tried to do a little research and troubleshoot it myself, without too much luck.

ive tried:

start>run>CMD chkdsk /f as well as
start>run>CMD chkdsk C: /f

and no matter what it just says:

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the colume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this colume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"

I tried Y but nothing happens when i restart, i still have the same problem.

I tried running disk Defrag as well just trying to clear up some space to make this process a little quicker and easier on my CPU as well as deleted some older programs i no longer use. However when i try and run disk defrag and try to analyze or defrag, i get an error message saying:

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C:).
Please run chkdsk /f."

but as i explained before running that doest work, even after restarting several times.

i also tried a few other things just incase, like

start>run>CMD chkdsk.exe

and when i do that it says:

"WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files <stage 1 of 3>...

then it goes on to read such things as:

-"Correcting a minor error in file 12705" etc

-"Deleting corrupt attribute record <128, "">
from file record segment 13125" etc

-"Del. corr. file record segment 45260." etc

-"Del. corr. attribute list entry
with type code 128 in file 50251" etc

-"Deleting orphan file record segment 45277." etc

(all numerous times with various record segment numbers)

and then finally reads

"Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode."

I realize that this process probably has little effect as none of the problems are visibly fixed after, however its a little more visually satisfying due to the fact that it at least looks like something is being done, instead of telling me its unable to run the process.

I also have trouble running my "Ad-Aware SE personal" by lavasoft on my computer, two years ago i remember i would run this and defrag my home computer and it did wonders for its speed, and now it freezes up halfway through the scan. i have since removed the program for fear that it may do more harm than good.

Also fyi just a little background on my comp and the system im running Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] on a Laptop (Dell Latitude D620)

im also curious about how to save some of my school documents and music files as my windows media player has stopped working as well and just freezes up unless i do something like put a CD in and click 'play cd in wmp' when the box pops up. i just would like to keep these files if at all possible and i have a feeling that if i cant get this to work i would have to wipe my hard drive and start from anew.... which is also something i really dont know how to do.

any help would be much appreciated, thank you! also please understand while i know a little about computers, i am still fairly limited in my knowledge so please try and make your responses understandable and clear to someone who is only semi tech savy. thanks

-zac haze

id like to correct the line

"Chkdsk cannot run because the colume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this colume to be checked the next time the system restarts?""

the word 'colume' both times should read 'volume'. i am sorry for my typo

also the smiley face shouldnt be there i just meant to type
( C : ) but that makes a smiley, hence the autoface thing

haha back again i also was wondering if there was any way to identify and stop any process' that are unnecessary. In my Windows Task Manager i have a ridiculous amount of process', alot of which i dont remember ever seeing before, however i know it can be dangerous to go around ending process that i have no idea about. I was just wondering if there was something i could do to identify which processes are hurting my computer or at least the ones that dont need to be running as my laptop heats up quite a bit and fairly quickly at that. i know that there is a good amount of them because when i used to look at the process bar on this laptop when i first bought it it had much less, as did my home computer.

right now my computer is running 62 processes which is a bit less than i have found to be usual lately on this laptop, but still quite more than i beleive it should be, and has a commit charge of 565M/3932M

also some additional info to help diagnose the problem, idk if any of this helps but here goes.

Totals
Handles 17180 (about)
threads 624
Prossesses 62

Commit Charge (K)
Total 581600 (abt)
Limit 4025428
Peak 591652

Physical Memory (K)
Total 2087024
Available 1420350 (about)
System Cache 667815

Kernel Memory (K)
Total 87880
Paged 63765
Nonpaged 24020

i ran that and it said the same thing. whats even worse is everytime i schedule to run it next reboot, it doesnt. even if i reboot it regularly or in safe mode again...

any suggestions?

Try booting from CD rather then your hard drive. Under the circumstance, you might want to try booting from a UBCD4Win CD (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows). When your computer is working look into building your own custom image with your own choice of diagnostic tools. But for now, you can download an image someone else created and burn it to CD on a friend’s computer. Here’s a link to a downloadable image.

It sounds like in addition to chkdsk, because of all those processes, might be wise to also run the antivirus / antispyware options on the CD as well as anything else on there you see appropriate.

Also, all those processes running make me wonder how many startups are configured on your computer that are starting without your knowing and you don’t need or want started. Pacman’s startup portal is good place to learn about startups and use their startup database to go through the ones on your system one-by-one to see what it is and if it is really required or not.

run glarysoft glary utilities (free), there is a process viewer that you can use to identify and stop various programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back