Problem with codecs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill Factor X

Hi everyone,

Particulary my probelm is ac3filter.ax. I cant play video files without it. My videos will crash at random intervals. I had this problem before (up to date drivers on motherboard, video card, sound card, and direct x) and couldn't nail the problem down, so I tried reinstalling the OS. It still does the same thing, player will crash and event logger with point to ac3filter.ax as the failing module. Currently only the video card and direct x are updated. Any ideas:confused:

CPU Athlon XP 2.0 ghz
System Memory 1 G
Motherboard Machspeed KT400DBL
Video Card Radeon x1600 Pro 512
Sound Card Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer 4.1 (yeah I know its ancient)
OS Windows XP Professional SP1 (it was crashing with SP2 before)

A quick solution would be to go to www.free-codecs.com and download their codec megapack. See if that works.

You can also search their site for the utility, I think it's called video inspector or something. It will check out your video file and tell you what codec is needed, or what it was create with.

If you have a fresh install of Windows with no added codecs, it's probaby just a wrong codec. The video could be Divx or something else.

I moved your original thread from the Guides and solved issues forum to here. This was because computer problems are not to be posted in that forum. there is a sticky(READ) thread at the top of that forum to this effect.

Since then, you have opened two more threads for this subject. One of them in the Guides and solved issues forum. That was deleted by another mod.

I have deleted your other thread on this subject.

Please do not open any more threads for this. Thanks.

Sorry, my browser or the forum must be acting funny, i did post this thread the first time and it didn't show when it refreshed the topic list, so I did it again thinking it failed to post. Yeah I kinda read that sticky right after I posted, sry again. I'm new here, i'll get the hang of the place in a few days.

I highly recommend against any mass codec packs as they generally lead to problems later on. Run your files through g-spot or some other file inspector as Vigilante suggested to see what video and audio codecs you actually need - then install those from the official sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back