problem with connecting 2 pc via lan cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbang

so basically i want to connect 2 pc together by using the lan cable to play games by lan.

so this is what i know. i connect the pc's by the cable. then i set the ip settings.
ip address pc1 - 192.168.0.1
ip address pc2 - 192.168.0.2

then the subnet mask is left alone n the default gateway the same for both pc which is 192.168.0.0 (i even tried to change it to some other numbers like 222.222.2.2 but still no success)

then the preferred n alternate dns server i just leave it blank. so can anyone tell me whats wrong...

owhhhhh... so i kinda know whats the problem now. its the cables.. so how can i tell which is crossover and which is not?? they look just the same..

sorry im new to networking and dont know much.. heh.. thnks for the reply..

most of the time the cables are coloured blue for normal ethernet and yellow or red for crossovers. But sometimes you can get different coloured cables so its a bit misleading..

Check the cable itself, there could be some writing to help you figure out whats what on it.

oh ok coz the cable that i used before was white... so i'll have to get a crossover then.. thnks again n maybe n hopefully i'll not get problems with a crosssover cable =)

Connect 2 pcs via ethernet cross over cable but....

it does not work yet....and I get a bit lost in firewall settings, IP settings,DNS....
Help HElp

bigbang said:
so basically i want to connect 2 pc together by using the lan cable to play games by lan.

so this is what i know. i connect the pc's by the cable. then i set the ip settings.
ip address pc1 - 192.168.0.1
ip address pc2 - 192.168.0.2

then the subnet mask is left alone n the default gateway the same for both pc which is 192.168.0.0 (i even tried to change it to some other numbers like 222.222.2.2 but still no success)

then the preferred n alternate dns server i just leave it blank. so can anyone tell me whats wrong...
call them sysA and sysB
on sysA

ip 192.168.0.2
gateway 192.168.0.3
mask 255.255.255.0
dns empty​
on sysB

ip 192.168.0.3
gateway 192.168.0.2
mask 255.255.255.0
dns empty​

the two system will work together BUT HAVE NO INTERNET access,
as they only see each other (ie the gateway of one points to the other :) )

firewall settings still need to be set for whatever you're accessing

more needed!

Thanks for answer....but the intend is precisely to get to internet with the two PC (the connection to internet is thru USB) while the two PC (I intend!) are connected thru an ethernet cross-over cable...
Thanks for further advice
JMV

ICS: Internet connection sharing...

using 1 pc as the host (meaning the pc has to be on all the time whenever you want to go on the net) then the second connected to that etc.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

in summary: the host pc must have already good connection to the net and properly set up. Run the home network wizard to make it able to share the internet connection. client pcs just need to run the network wizard to connect through the host pc's connection.. however detailed instructions are in the above link (among many more sites available) if you want to read.

using a router would've been more efficient and practicle but if you have dial up or a modem with no ethernet then i guess its understandable...

the ICS solution looks like
Code:
modem---systemA---systemB
a router solution looks like
Code:
modem---router --- systemA
            +
            +------systemB
you will be much happier with a cheap router!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back