TechSpot

Problem with device driver, can't install large games due to restart.

By anthmoo
Feb 16, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, hi guys it's anthmoo with my first post here. I really need help here as I am at the point of giving up. I am dedicated to this post and will reply to all replies if necessary. I will also try out anything you say to help me.

The situation now is that I have a great brand new PC with the specs of:

AMD Family 15 3200
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5700LE (256MB graphics)
    1024MB memory
    Audigy Pro 2 ZS sound card with external device.
    Single Hardrive with 127GB space
    O/S - Windows XP Home Edition
    Realtek RTL8169/8100 Network

Ok the problem is that whenever I install a game (large game) it gets almost to 100% of the installation then it crashes unexpectedly. I tried Half-Life 2, The Sims 2 and Fallout 2 and they all didn't work except when I chose the smallest installation option on Fallout 2. That option worked for some reason. When it restarts it shows me a quick flash of a blue error screen then boots up again.

When it boots up again the mircrosoft error message send box appears and I chose to send my error report. I got the result that it was my Nvidia graphics card which was the problem so I followed the instructions and turned Harware Acceleration to 'none' and UNCHECKED 'Enable write combining'. I restarted after changing those only to make the problem alot worse, it even made a CMOS error or something at the first boot screen which made me press F1 to continue.

I undone those two changes which I mentioned above and then it went back to normal. I forgot also to mention that I do not have SP1 or SP2 as it messed up my computer. I do have the latest DirectX though.

I tried installing them in Safe Mode but it did not work as I can not run the windows installer in Safe mode sadly enough. Fallout 2 installation in safe mode stuck on a blue screen.

I was fed up and tired so I decided to search the net and came here for assistance that is so desperately needed. Any help will be gratefully received :) . I typed in my details above using the Electronic Arts System Information tool which gave me my system specs but it strangely says that
    for my CPU speed it is actually -2096Mhz (thats right...minus 2096 Mhz!).
    Please help :) . I will check this regulary and reply to ur comments or questions ASAP.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.