TechSpot

Problem with Directx when I switched to Geforce 6200

By Taliesen
Sep 15, 2005
  1. Alright I just got a Geforce 6200. I am running an AMD 1.7ghz processor with 512 ram. I have latest directx 9.0c and the card is working. But when I go to play some of my 3d games it will not initiliaze direct x. These are games that I could play before using my onboard video card but now will not work. Did I miss a step in the install process? Any information would be great.

2. ani123

ani123 TS Rookie Posts: 113

what were those 3d games that you couldn't run due to directx problem?

3. Taliesen

Taliesen TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, there is a large list of 3d games, some mmorpg's like rubies of eventide and KalOnline and planeshift, but now also Condition Zero (all half-life based games) and any other game that requires the use of directx, and I am beginning to suspect opengl as well. I have updated versions of both and the most recent version of the nvidia graphics drivers.

4. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

Without some system information, it's impossible to yield accurate help/suggestions.

Stabbing totally in the dark, some things you can try that can very possibly yield what you are experiencing (and should be explored in this order):
    1) Download and install the chipset/agp drivers for your mainboard. While the on-board video may have worked, now you're using a system slot that needs AGP drivers or chipset drivers for DX acceleration to be detected.

2) Re-install the REFERENCE drivers from www.nvidia.com

3) Inspect your BIOS settings to see if there is an option to disable your on-board video, set IRQ to VGA/AGP slot, aperture and other AGP slot vs. Integrated settings.

4) Check to see if there is a newer BIOS for your system to be flashed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.