Problem with Directx when I switched to Geforce 6200

By Taliesen
Sep 15, 2005
  1. Alright I just got a Geforce 6200. I am running an AMD 1.7ghz processor with 512 ram. I have latest directx 9.0c and the card is working. But when I go to play some of my 3d games it will not initiliaze direct x. These are games that I could play before using my onboard video card but now will not work. Did I miss a step in the install process? Any information would be great.
  2. ani123

ani123 TS Rookie Posts: 113

what were those 3d games that you couldn't run due to directx problem?
  3. Taliesen

Taliesen TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, there is a large list of 3d games, some mmorpg's like rubies of eventide and KalOnline and planeshift, but now also Condition Zero (all half-life based games) and any other game that requires the use of directx, and I am beginning to suspect opengl as well. I have updated versions of both and the most recent version of the nvidia graphics drivers.
  4. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

Without some system information, it's impossible to yield accurate help/suggestions.

Stabbing totally in the dark, some things you can try that can very possibly yield what you are experiencing (and should be explored in this order):
    1) Download and install the chipset/agp drivers for your mainboard. While the on-board video may have worked, now you're using a system slot that needs AGP drivers or chipset drivers for DX acceleration to be detected.

2) Re-install the REFERENCE drivers from

3) Inspect your BIOS settings to see if there is an option to disable your on-board video, set IRQ to VGA/AGP slot, aperture and other AGP slot vs. Integrated settings.

4) Check to see if there is a newer BIOS for your system to be flashed.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.