Problem with fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurlyhairedkid

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 notebook and recently I've noticed that one of the fans seems to be "stuck." I'm using I8kfanGUI to check the speeds of the fans and at slow they're about the same; the left fan is at about 2300rpms while the right one remains at a constant 1928rpms.

However, when i turn the fans up to high, only the left fan goes faster. It runs at around 3700-4000rpms, while the right fan shows no change. If i touch the sides of the computer, there is a noticeable difference in the temperature.

Is there any way for me to fix this?

kurlyhairedkid,
I don't think you have a problem here. Many laptops have 2 fans, and from what I've seen, they don't run at the same speed ever. It's normal to feel more heat from one area than another... The laptop or it's software will notify you if the laptop overheats. Keep the cooling ports clean and open. Happy computing!

Tmagic650 said:
kurlyhairedkid,
I don't think you have a problem here. Many laptops have 2 fans, and from what I've seen, they don't run at the same speed ever. It's normal to feel more heat from one area than another... The laptop or it's software will notify you if the laptop overheats. Keep the cooling ports clean and open. Happy computing!

Are you sure? Before this started happening, I could hear both fans revving up when they ran on high. But now, I don't hear that. I only hear the left one rev up to high.

Also, when I'm playing a game, the fans will kick in, and normally they just go high for a second to cool it down and then stop, but now they turn on, but don't stop until i turn the computer off.

It's probably nothing, but I just want to make sure.

There is nothing you can do except have the fans replaced. If you haven't messed with the shutdown/warning section of the power settings, the laptop will shut down before heat damage is done. I only replace laptop fans when a failure mode is tripped. If you are really worried, get the fans replaced now, otherwise wait!

Ok, thanks Tmagic. I guess I'll just wait. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything and maybe I'm just paranoid that something will go wrong. Either way, thanks for the help.

There's no reason to be paranoid kurlyhairedkid,
I had a Sony Vaio notebook that came to me dead. Both CPU fans were frozen. I replaced the fan assembly ($85) and the laptop worked fine again. The owner said that it just quit working one day

my 2nd fan seems to be gone, too - other things to check?

i recently started noticing a slight whir from the right side of the Dell Inspiron E1705, and have been now trying to control the 2nd fan with I8kfanGUI. I can set the first fan to run fast or slow or off, but the 2nd fan does not respond. I want my laptop to be silent if it can!

Is there anything else I can check to see if the 2nd fan is foobar-ed or not?
If I really do have to replace the 2nd fan, how do I do that?

thanks for any responses, jasper

jasperjon said:
i recently started noticing a slight whir from the right side of the Dell Inspiron E1705, and have been now trying to control the 2nd fan with I8kfanGUI. I can set the first fan to run fast or slow or off, but the 2nd fan does not respond. I want my laptop to be silent if it can!

Is there anything else I can check to see if the 2nd fan is foobar-ed or not?
If I really do have to replace the 2nd fan, how do I do that?

thanks for any responses, jasper

Fans don't last forever Jasper. Don't try to replace a laptop fan unless you are familiar with working on laptops. They're not at all like desktops or tower computers

same fan problem for dell inspiron e1705/9400

I have the exact same problem as the above two posts. the cpu fan (left) one now runs continuously non stop while the video card/gpu fan (right) is silent and barely moves. The left side is cool the right side is hot. This problem just started (previously it was not like this) and I have had it nine months. Seeing two previous postings for the exact same problem makes me think there are others out there that may have run into it. Anyone out there with experiences or solutions that can help? Thanks!

aazzz0000's problem is not the same as mine. my left fan works fine, my right fan has disappeared from I8kfanGUI configuration, and I think it's stuck on the slow speed.

It's almost as if the fan became disconnected - pehaps as simple as a loose connection - but I'm loath to try to open up my laptop. And I dread sending it to dell.

With my current situation, I can't even confirm for sure that I have a second fan - I8kfanGUI doesn't find it.

Anyone know if Inspiron E1705 come equipped with two fans? That would tell me something useful.

hmmm. okay perhaps it's not the exact same problem. but it certainly sounds similar. the left fan is running but the right fan barely moves. it still shows up in i8kfanGUI and I also think mine is stuck in slow speed. just got off chat with dell support and according to him there are two fans one for cpu and the other for gpu (left and right respectively).

You laptops are fine. Fans don't work forever. I just had 2 LEDs go out on some of my fans. And another one of my fans is deciding to wear out its bearings.

Fans just loose speed over time. Don't sweat it man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back