Status
Not open for further replies.
System:

ECS Via PT800CE-A Mobo
ATI Radeon 9550
Western Digital SATA HD(7200 Rpm) WD1200
Intel pentium 4 3.0 processor
Combo Cd/dvd rom drive

okay, i had this computer running great last year about july, then i downloaded something and it was completely screwed up. we couldnt even get into windows or anything. we sent it to get fixed, but it was just sent back. now ive been trying to fix it and ive been getting no-where.
while trying to install windows xp, i am pressing f6, and put the floppy in, but its not reading the files on the floppy.
so i go to the installation, and it is reading the hard drive. i try to put xp on the C: partition1 (unknown)
then format as a Ntfs file system.
after the format it says the HD is damaged and i need to exit.
but i dont know if it is actually completely damaged.
i REALLY need help on this , i am ripping my hair out cuase i want to get this fixed bad.
im not to smart with computers, so if you could explain thourougly that would be great.
thanks

Instead of installing to the existing partition, try deleting all partitions and creating (a) new one(s).

thats what i tried doing. multiple times
it keeps saying the disk is damaged.
is there anything i can do, because the HD should be ruined

also...
could there be anything in my computer making it seem damaged, like bad memory, or something just not hooked up right?

You might try this...

Can you change yours BIOS to bootable on
1st = Floppy , 2d= HD
... then you can boot into any bootable floppy Disk.
Windows floppy disk windowsME or WindowsSE work great... then
FDISK the HD, then Format the HD....this makes it FAT32...

If the HD is smoked this will tell you...

Then if you have a Bootable CD for XP... change to the Sequence to
1 = HD, 2=Floppy

good bet the drives foobar
if you can download a good disc drive checker repair like hddgen
burn to cd (bootable)
run that or any other that will load sata drivers should be able to tell if drive is shot
should be asking the computer sales why they sent it back unfixed and or if the drive can be replaced in warrenty

Frank smith.

i have tried making my own boot disks with no sucess, but i will keep trying till i get one that works.
but can you explain to me how to "fdisk" and format, then make it a FAT32
thanks

okay, so ive tried something else now...

i have done a memtest86, and its came back with over 4000 errors.
im not sure what that means cuase the readme said it could be just incompatible.
now when i tried to install winXP, it siad that the hard drive was corrupted.
i just ran a data lifegaurd diagnostic, and it said the Hd has no errors.

so what does this mean?
i really need help, and i appreciate any i get!

thats what i thought.
but the readme said that if it gave an extremely large amount of errors(say over 4000 like mine) then the problem might be compatability.
is there a way to tell if thats the problem, and is there a way to fix it?

Memtest indicated bad memory chips... remove all chips and inspect carefully
some times a small piece of link fuzzzzzzzzzz will corrupt a memory chip...check ea chip and make sure of speed.. the slowest chip first. sometimes manufacutres have different speeds..use BIOS to reset to DEFAULT that removes any SPEED problems. make sure the bios finds all x pieces of memory... 1 or 2 or 3 you know how many are there?
try spinrite on the HD...(slow but works)
faster way.. use a bootable disk made with windows ME or SE ... that is DOS fdisk and format .. do not use the Fdisk & format on the XP CD.....

Right now i only have one memory chip.
i am willing to buy another if its needed.
its an eclipse DDR pc400 512 mb

i already ran a HD diagnostic and completely wiped it clean.
i was wondering if there could be a hard drive problem other than it being corrupted.
i noticed my hard drive was located IDE channel 2 master.
should it be there?
is there any other thing that could make it say the hard drive is corrupt when i know its not?
im not sure i have every thing set up right so the problem could lie there...

There is no such thing as software-memory incompatibility. You have problems either with your CPU, motherboard or RAM. Most likely RAM. As Frank Smith said, try removing and replacing the memory. Use less aggressive memory timings in BIOS setup. Do not overclock.

well right now i cant do that becuase i only have one memory stick.
but i will see about the "less aggresive timings"
im not sure exactly how to do that though

i came across something about i need to get a bios update and it will fix everything...

thats what im thinking.
i just cant figure out how to get bios updated without being able to get into windows..

i would like some help, and really descriptive help becuase im not that great with computers.

i also found think i need to go back a version.
i have 1.1e, and the post said theres worked with 1.1d
but im not really sure, cuase i couldnt find much about it.

i have a ecs via PT800CE-A
Award bios v 1.1e
any help apreciated

You can change yours BIOS to bootable on FLOPPY = 1st, HD = 2nd , shutdown and insert any bootable floppy Disk.
Windows floppy disk windowsME or WindowsSE work great... then Reboot the computer
It will automatic boot to the floppy...

Most systems tell you how to get into the BIOS prior to the OS startup. ..
... unless you have really changed the c:\boot.ini timYou must press the F5 or F8 key immediately after hearing the first beep from your computer BIOS at system startup. You may have to press the F5 or F8 key many times.
(On most computers, you have a few seconds to press the F5 or F8 key after you see the "Starting MS-DOS..." prompt and hear the beep.)
it is default at 30 sec... read the text on screen when you are booting...when in the BIOS simply read an reset to DEFAULT.. or FAIL SAFE... memory can corrupt via overclocking... and still be 100% functionable... at normal speeds... If you have set the timer to "0" and can not see what to do... boot to DOS via the floppy. open c:\boot.ini and change the timer code to 25 or 30secs. save then reboot into the BIOS settings. normal time is =30
my c:\boot.ini settings:
[boot loader]
timeout=30 <--(only change this setting..),
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=optout

i will try that.

can anyone share with me how to update my bios?

i have a PT800CE-A, award bios.
i have version 1.1e, and think i need 1.1d, not sure though.
thanks~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back