TechSpot

Problem with my D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Ethernet card (no idea what to do).

By dmb
Jan 10, 2005
  1. Hello, my name is Denis.
    Yesterday, I reinstaled windows 98 after having problems because of a virus.
    Everything is working fine right now but my ethernet card. (It was working perfect before today).

Here's the problem:
    I use a cable modem which has a USB and Ethernet output. I can use the USB one without any troubles. But since I reinstaled windows98, the computer (D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Ethernet card) is not working. The lights are on but it's just not connecting :(

I checked the drivers and they were there, but maybe they got corrupted so I reinstaled the drivers for the card (I found them online since the Diskette I once had was lost). Once I instaled the drivers, everything went perfect and it said it was succefully installed. But after rebooting / reseting the modem numerous times, nothing happened (and still didint happen).

I am (sadly) not a computer pro and I knew about nothing about Ethernet card untill today. I would like to know if there is anything to do about my Ethernet card. I know for sure it's not a Hardware problem comming from the card because untill today, it worked smooth. Please let me know, anything will help me very much as I cant use the Router I have without the D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Ethernet card.

Thank you in advance!!!
    Sincerely, Denis.

NOTE: After I re-instaled SyGate firewall earlier, I have this program that keep asking me to connect to internet: NETBEUI.VXD . I looked it up on the net, and it seems to be some kind of networking thing. The thing is that I never instaled it and it never asked to connect to internet untill now. It's only asking when I use the USB output to connect to the internet, so I doubt it has to do with the Ethernet card. I have no idea what it is doing in my computer. If you have any information about it too, I would aprreciat to know what it is. Thank you :)

2. ManyVoicesOfMe

ManyVoicesOfMe TS Rookie Posts: 45

That *.VXD file is a driver related file I belive. So I think it may be doing whatever it is doing as result of the drivers you used for the card. As for connecting to the Ethernet...well Windows 98 is a pain. You may have to adjust your TCIP settings for the card.

3. dmb

dmb TS Rookie Topic Starter

Resolved

Yeah, I figured out what was the .VXD File, and yeah, it was a problem with my TCP/IP, It wouldnt add a TCP/IP for my card automaticly because when I reinstaled w98, it Installed Dummy Cards (thats doesnt exist) but they were taking the place of the one I actualy use, so I deleted the other cards and added a TCP/IP protocol for my card. Thank you :) (May this help other users with the same problem) :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.