Problem with my memory!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonofisis

This is weird.. I have a Gateway Computer, Intel P4 2.5GHZ, I have a memory stick of 256mb installed, running on Windows XP SP 1.. I had it for about a year, and it ran fine. I usually reinstall Windows once a month, well, the last 2 installs, i've found that my memory gets too low now, waaaaay too quick.. If i let the computer sit for 20 minutes or so, then try to start programs back up, they won't load.. They all get stuck at 64K in the memory in task manager.. I keep having to restart about every 30 minutes!! I have another 512 MB stick, but i took that out, because it was doing the same thing with the computer crashing a lot.. Now when i try to insert that memory stick, the computer won't read it anymore, tho i will keep trying. Does any one know a way for me to trouble shoot all of this, or any suggestions?

I usually reinstall Windows once a month

Why do you do that?

Test your ram.

Download the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let the programme run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is a pre-built iso version, that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

sonofisis said:
I don't have a CD Burner..Is there any other way to test my RAM?

Let me get this straight. You`ve no floppy drive, or cd burner?

Do you have a dvd burner? If so, you can use that.

If not, maybe you can get one of your friends to download and burn the Memtest86+ programme for you.

Regards Howard :)

this wont help but.. ive never heard of a P4 with 2.5ghtz!!!?
it has no floppy or cd dirve...i think u were ripped off :haha:

^Nice of you to put words in my mouth.. No one said that I had no CD Drive, I said that I have no CD Burner, there is a difference.. Floppy's are old, and I simply don't have a burner yet.. There should be another way..

Do you have 4 slots or 2 slots for your ram, because on most operating systems if you only have 1 slot filled or 2 different slots filled then the ram may not function properly(ie. 2 coded white, and 2 coded black) <<<this is how my p4 2.4ghz pc3200 is setup.
or
your comp sucks! and you are running to much crap. Try defraggin your hard drive, that may help with the speed of your machine. but what do i know? not enough. so don't bother reading that if you read this first. :approve:

TheRonMexico said:
Do you have 4 slots or 2 slots for your ram, because on most operating systems if you only have 1 slot filled or 2 different slots filled then the ram may not function properly(ie. 2 coded white, and 2 coded black) <<<this is how my p4 2.4ghz pc3200 is setup.
or
your comp sucks! and you are running to much crap. Try defraggin your hard drive, that may help with the speed of your machine. but what do i know? not enough. so don't bother reading that if you read this first. :approve:

Naw, my computer is fine.. It ran great for a while, over a year with no problems.. I have two slots for DDR RAM.. I took them out, one was 512MB, the other is 256MB.. So far i've put the 256MB back in, but i'm not sure if it was the same slot from previous.. My memory used to go bad over a course of like 18 hours of it constantly running, now only 20 minutes.. I haven't put the 512 MB stick in yet tho, or switched places, it's hard to insert the sticks into the slots for me.. Should I switch the 256MB into the other slot? Because even when I did insert the 512MB into the other slot, my computer didn't work, so I took it back out.. Does it matter which slot it's in?

howard_hopkinso said:
Let me get this straight. You`ve no floppy drive, or cd burner?

Do you have a dvd burner? If so, you can use that.

If not, maybe you can get one of your friends to download and burn the Memtest86+ programme for you.

I ended up burning it, it said no errors...

sonofisis said:
I ended up burning it, it said no errors...

In that case, we now need your full system specs, as well as info on what error messages, or bsod`s you are getting when your computer crashes.

When did the problem first appear? Have you added any new hardware/software that seems to coincide with your problem etc.

As much info as possible will help.

howard_hopkinso said:
In that case, we now need your full system specs, as well as info on what error messages, or bsod`s you are getting when your computer crashes.

When did the problem first appear? Have you added any new hardware/software that seems to coincide with your problem etc.

As much info as possible will help.

ok, i'm tired now, so i'll post full details tomorrow.. thanx for the help.

OK, the best I can Do, Is..

I have a Gateway Desktop PC.. Intel P4 Processor 2.5GHZ.. 2 Sticks Of DDR RAM, 512MB and 256MB.. Running On Windows XP SP1.. That's all I'm qualified to tell u.. My memory does not last, I currently have both sticks in, I run Kaspersky Anti Virus on start up, outpost firewall, and adwatch.. I've been doing this for a while, but these memory problems just appeared.. No hardware changes, only software as I reinstalled Windows.. It seems that I can use the internet for about 20 minutes, then out of nowhere, I can't surf anymore, IE won't respond, and no big programs will load anymore, I am then continuously forced the restart my computer.. When I check my memory in Task Manager, it still says that I have more than 300MB of free memory usually, yet it limits any other programs that i try to open to 64kb of memory that i can't use and the programs won't load..I need some real help!

Try updating to Service Pack 2. When you right click on "My Computer" and properties how much memory does it say you have? Is Kaspersky is fully updated and a scan has been run since this has started happening?

^Thanks guys, i've fixed the problem.. Out Post Firewall was some how draining my memory eveytime I connected to the Net. It just stopped working after a while, I uninstalled that, now everything is moving along fine!

lol u know something i think that is funny is that he is using pirated windows xp lol thats why he re installs every month because windows gives u 30 days to activate it if u dont u get stuck in the activation screen. lol but i could be wrong lol but then why would any1 install windows every month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back