TechSpot

Problem with my PC

By Tucker4321
Jun 10, 2008
  1. My Pc shut down a few times on me one day so i decided to clean out my fans. I did not unplug anything so but i did make sure i did not knock out any wires. I did not use liquid products

    Then when i tried to turn on my pc i would not turn on but i did notice a small high pitched noise coming from my power supply and a little bit of a burning smell So i quickly unpluged the power and turned the power supply switch off. After a few tests i believed my power supply died so i bought a new power supply with somewhat better watts than mine and should easily handle my specs.

    The same thing is happening with this new power supply and i got the person at the store to test it before selling it to me.

    What are your ideas on what it could be?
     
  2. mailpup

    mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,978   +362

    The same thing is happening? Just to clarify, are you saying the new power supply is making the same noise and burning too or the PC is just not turning on? BTW, what is the new power supply you bought (brand and model)?

    When the first power supply died, it may have damaged other components. The question is what. Other than the CPU and motherboard, can you test your other components in another PC to narrow it down?
     
  3. Tucker4321

    Tucker4321 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    The new power supply is a sparkle
    model: ATX-400pn

    And both power supplies do the same thing.

    The sparkle was tested in another pc and it works fine so im thinking my motherboard might have shorted or sometihng.
     
  4. Spyder_1386

    Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 498

    Hey Tucker4321

    A "sharp high pitched sound" could be caused by your RAM not being plugged in properly or being damaged. However, this should not cause your PC not to switch on.... like you said, I too suspect your Motherboard to have a problem.

    Hope you get it worked out.

    Spyder_1386 :)
     
  5. Tucker4321

    Tucker4321 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    yeah i thought of that and switched the Ram with one of my friends.

    I do admit this issue is kind of odd and confused me quite a bit. I will be getting a new motherboard soon so I will let you know if the issue is fixed
     
  6. nickc

    nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

    a Sparkle PSU wound not be the best in my opinion, as it is not one of the top rated ones and would be my first concern, I think that is u're problem there.
     
  7. craigburke

    craigburke TS Rookie

    I have a feeling it might be your motherboard. I've seen it before where a bad motherboard will cause none of the fans to kick in on the power supply. There is a chance that your previous power supply sent a surge, killed the motherboard and now the power supply isn't being responsive towards it. Out of curiosity, does your power supply make the same noise when its not plugged into anything and turned on?
     
  8. Tucker4321

    Tucker4321 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Well i tested the PSU in other PC and it turned on and did not make any noise. So it all looked good.

    But i will try testing the PSU outside of a PC and see what happens.
     
  9. Tucker4321

    Tucker4321 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    I just bought a new motherboard, processer, and ram. All is good now. Cept i have to get some thermal paste.
     
  10. larryiam

    larryiam TS Rookie Posts: 476

    Well glad you got the problem fixed!
     
  11. Tucker4321

    Tucker4321 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    thanks ^.^
     
  12. Tucker4321

    Tucker4321 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Yeah it was the motherboard pc works fine now.
     
  13. larryiam

    larryiam TS Rookie Posts: 476

    well great to hear!! Happy surfing!
     
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...