Problem with my Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

My router is a Netgear R314. Lately its been dissconnecting my internet connection (DSL) for a breif ~5 seconds. AIM will have to reconnect, I cant host games in WC3, without everyone getting kicked, & I get booted from UT servers. Its very annoying, because it happens like every 10 minutes or so.

Any ideas on what could be rong? It didnt do this from day 1.

I know its my router, becasue when I unconnect it [take my DSL ethernet cable (DSL Line>DSL Modem>output ethernet cable) and plug it right into my PC, instead of the router,] this doesnt happen. :blackeye: :dead: :blackeye:

Please help!

Very well done for disconnecting your router from situation to see if that solved it - that's good troubleshooting, well done.

I have a couple of suggestions:-

Is is possible for you to return your router to its factory settings with some kind of reset? Have you tried this?

Your router could be faulty, though. But to make sure, be careful to test all other bits and pieces including cables and so forth. Be absolutely sure that its the router by eliminating everything else.

Have you looked on the web site of your router or done a google search to see if this is a known issue?

Oh, wait. Hang on I just did that and only got 15 or so hits.... hmm.... where did you get this device???

I think you mean the Netgear RT314:grinthumb. Thats the kind of router I have. I haven't had any problems with it except all of the Ethernet ports are a little touchy, if the cord plugs are not pressed in all the way they tend not to make a connection. Even if they are clicked in they need to be pressed all the way into the port. It could be the problem if it is getting bumped but I highly doubt it would happen every 10 minutes. Do you know what firmware version you have? To my knowledge the latest is 3.25(CA.0)

Thanks for the replys guys. And yes, I did mean RT314 (oops!). Im pretty good at networking, as Im always the one to setup the LAN at my friends LAN parties, and manage the 4 other computers in the house (that includes wireless 802.11b too :D)

-Factory Defults: I dont think going back to these would fix anything, simply because all I've done is reconfigure the 'auto port forwarding' so I can host WC3 games on both computers in my room :) Not to mention, I wouldnt dare reset the settings anyways. If I couldnt get it all back up and running, my dad would get mad since he'd have to reconfigure it all.

-Google Article: I've found this article on Google, as another lad has the same problem as me,

RT314 Connection stalling?
Recently I have been having the following problem with my Netgear RT314 router.
Occasionally my Internet connection will hang or stall, with most internet sites not working (IE has "Finding site..." in status bar). Strangely certain sites like dslreports.com will still work and I can still ping websites although almost all other websites do not work.
I also can't check my email when this happens. The only way to fix this is to reset the router. I'm pretty sure it is the router because it does not happen when I bypass the router and connect my computer directly to the cable modem (3com Homeconnect). The frequency of this problem varies, some days it happens every 5-10 minutes, sometimes it does not occur at all.

The exact way I descriped it too. My router is already running the latest firmware. One guy replys:

"Try statically assigning the IP addresses of your computers to 192.168.xxx and putting the gateway as 192.168.0.1 and put in your dns servers"

I have also done this.

Under Windows Event viewer he gets this:

"The IP address lease 192.168.0.2 for the Network Card with network address 0080C6FACA52 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message). "

So we now know its a problem with the DCHP Server on the router :grinthumb

"How to fix the problem:
Its the machines going thru the RT311 that do. To "fix" the problem I either reboot the RT311 or telnet into the RT311 and do a release/renew with the ISP"

So it looks like I'll need to do that, but im not convinced it will solve the problemo.

Only time will tell ;)

I have seen simliar problems and updating the firmware has fixed many of them.

I've already done that...and theres no more digging to do.

I do have 2 routers...one is wireless (linksys), with 4 ports. That is uplinked to this netgear*. I uplink the netgear to the linksys, which I tryed, but it just didnt want to go.

Never the less, I want to get this one fixed...Its not defective.

*DSL modem>netgear router>linksys router

I managed to greatly improve the stability of my router by disabling the DHCP server completely and manually configuring TCP/IP on all clients.

.. That make sense, since it will no longer be up to the router to decide what IP goes where.

It would effectively turn the router into a sort of firewalled hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back