Problem with my speaker's bass sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really weird situation. I walked across a carpet and then touched the volume knob on my 2.1 computer speakers to turn them down, but when I walked across the carpet I built up a static charge and when I touched the knob the charge jumped about a 1/4 of an inch and went into either the bass knob or volume knob. After that happened I heard a loud pop from the speakers and then they stopped working. I unplugged them and plugged them in and they started working again, but now the bass knob doesn't do anything, the speakers constantly pump out full bass. I have no clue what is wrong, I would have thought it would be the rheostat, but that should stand up to low current high voltage shouldn't it?

The static charge probably "burned out" the bass control circuit. That "small" spark could have been in the 100,000 volt range. Could this damage? YES!

Hello, AdamK9, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, I agree with Tmagic, the static charge most likely burnt out the bass circuit.

You have also been "officially" welcomed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back