Ok, I built a system in Feb. of 07 that consisted of:
EVGA 680i mobo 122-CK-NF68-AR
Intel core 2duo E6600
EVGA GeForce 7900 GTO
OCZ GameXStream PSU 850 watts
OCZ 1024MB PC8500 DDR21066MHz Nvidia SLI-Ready EPP Memory
2 x Seagate 320 gig SATA HD
OS XP pro
Since then I upgraded my video card to an EVGA GT 260 and added 3 gig of the same Ram, installed vista ultimate 64 to one of my hard drives. Recently I lost a memory controller to 2 dimm, then started experiencing some boot problems and figured my mobo was about to croak. Then one day after allowing Vista to shut down the computer after installing some updates, I couldn't get the computer to power up again. I had a small blue light on the mobo along with a smaller yellow light near the blue one, but no fans or anything else would run. I then thought the end had finally came for this motherboard and ordered an Asus P5N-T and an Intel Q9300 processor.(would rather have built an i7 system) However, the mobo and cpu arrive and after work that day I install them where the 680i and E6600 were. I plug in the power cord and turn on the power supply and get nothing but the green led to light up. Now I suspect I might have had a power supply problem all along and find a guide to test the PSU with a multi-meter. So, I check the 24 and 8 pin power connectors, and find a couple that should have read 3.2 VDC and only read 2.74 VDC. Then I check the rest of the connectors and the lowest readings I get are 3.2 VDC. Now, I don't know whether I just have a bad mobo or the couple of pins that read 2.74 VDC on the 24 pin connector are enough to cause me problems. I would appreciate any input anyone might have. Sorry my first post was so long but I thought I needed to get all that info out there and not leave out anything that might be important. Thanks in advance for your help

If your +3.3VDC rails are +2.74v then you need to RMA the PSU. The +3.3v ans 5v rail supplies the power for the CPU and RAM, and the ATX standard tolerance is +/- 5% (3.135 to 3.465v). You are well outside the ATX specification.

Thanks for your quick reply dividebyzero,sorry I didn't reply back sooner. My warranty had ran out on the psu by a week, I purchased another OCZ MODXSTREAM-PRO 700 watt., I received it today and I put it in and nothing. I unhooked all the connectors and jumped it out and it wouldn't even run the fan Only had power on the purple wire 5.18 v. Had nothing on the 8 pin or 4 pin connectors. I RMA'd it and ordered an Ultra 750 watt PSU. It has a lifetime warranty at least if I register it. I'll let ya know what happens when I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back