Problem With Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

C00lza

Alright so recently I purchased a NVIDIA GeFORCE 8500GT to replace my ATI Radeon x300 and I have encountered a problem and have no idea how to fix it, seeing as how I am no computer wiz I decided to post here hoping for some answers :). Well when I first installed my NVIDA card it was working fine until I downloaded the drivers and was required to restart the computer. Upon restart, after the Windows XP loading screen everything was black. When I remove this card and install my ATI card, everything works perfectly. THanks for taking the time to read this over and I'm looking forward to hearing any responses that would be of ANY help.

See if you can disable or remove the drivers you downloaded, then go back to download an earlier or later version. Driver problems have been a plague on this video graphics card... I don't have one, so I don't know what the final fix has been... but that reverting to an earlier or late update seemed to do the trick...
Removing or disabling the old video graphics drivers are a critical part of the task any ways.

Tried that with no luck, also when the screen goes black.. the light on the monitor is green, not orange/amber so it does seem like it is getting a signal from the card, im really not sure what to do...:mad:

Also, when I try and boot in safe mode.. it hangs at mup.sys.. when trying to boot in VGA mode I get the same black screen..

You have a conflict between the old drivers and the new ones.

1. With the ATI card installed, start the machine:

2. Download the latest nVidia drivers for your card, but don't install yet.

3. Then and uninstall the ATi drivers and the nVidia drivers firstly by:

a. using uninstall programmes; then by
b. downloading this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Driver-Cleaner.shtml and running it for nVidia and Ati drivers.

6. Shutdown and install the nVidia card.

6,Restart in safe mode (tap F8 on boot)

7. Install the previously downloaded nVidia driver

8. Restart normally

Try another monitor. If no luck, it is the card.
Try another card. no luck. The problem is with the power supply, memory, or hard drive.

Guys, this is not a problem with anything other than the driver conflict. If it works fine with the old Ati card, that means that the harddrive is fine etc. The mup.sys file is simply the last file to load at startup. It gets that far and then fails with the nvidia card.

Mate you have a driver conflict. This is very common when you do not install the drivers correctly, especially when you swap between green/red.

Follow the instructions and it will work i bet:

1. With the ATI card installed, start the machine:

2. Download the latest nVidia drivers for your card, but don't install yet.

3. Then and uninstall the ATi drivers and the nVidia drivers firstly by:

a. using uninstall programmes; then by
b. downloading this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...-Cleaner.shtml and running it for nVidia and Ati drivers.

6. Shutdown and install the nVidia card.

6,Restart in safe mode (tap F8 on boot)

7. Install the previously downloaded nVidia driver

8. Restart normally

Worth a try.
You may not be able to uninstall the ATI drivers, but you can disable them in the Device Manager.
Please let us know if this works.
Sometimes it works best if you go back to an earlier driver.

raybay said:
Worth a try.
You may not be able to uninstall the ATI drivers, but you can disable them in the Device Manager.
Please let us know if this works.
Sometimes it works best if you go back to an earlier driver.

Did you even read this post? He has already tried this. THis is a simple case. He has installed nvidia drivers over the ati drivers. You MUST properly install drivers. Hes hasn't.

Alright I followed your instructions exactly. Now both of my cards result in a black screen after the windows loading screen and safe mode hangs at mup.sys..

i think a clean install of vista may do the trick i know u may think i am crazy but when vista installs its updates it will get all the drivers for you so the issue may just correct it self with a clean install. But backup all ur docs and stuff..

Bigfellla said:
reset the cmos and ensure the onboard graphics is turned off

Alright, I reset the cmos and onboard graphics is definatly turned off........still getting the same black screen after windows start up..I could try reinstalling windows completely but not quite sure how to do this because I cant get a picture with either card after the windows splash screen..any more suggestions are very very very welcome.. thanks again for the help

I don't know how many times I have said this here.

This time not only is it the same driver but the same card as I have.

There is a known bug in the current ForceWare Drivers 169.23 and up (that I know of - maybe before that too). There is full discussion on nVidia's forum

After installing and rebooting, the drivers automatically switch the output port (usually to S-Video output). What you need to do is plug something into each of the outputs (DVI, VGA and S-Video) in order to get a picture so you can switch it in the nVidia control panel.

okay here's the deal....the drivers are up to date...this is what you gotta do to get multiple monitors working....

WHEN YOU HAVE RGB to a monitor and your hdmi to a tv....after the install and reboot it switches your display to the hdmi unit...so turn that unit on to the hdmi and ta da there's your display....right click on desktop and choose properties....in the advanced tab you need to click the check box that says set as default monitor that correspondes to your RGB monitor

i went from an ati card to this same video card...the first time installed i thought i screwed it up cause my monitor was showing black screen.....this is because your hdmi unit gets set to primary and your monitor gets switched off.

i registered just to post this....i hope it helps...

hi there i'm having the exact same probs.
Tho I had a nvidia 8800 card before hand that started to go faulty got a replacement card which was a 9600.
It works fine with drivers installed but as soon as i install new graphics drivers my PC powers on to just by the windows vista logo then monitor goes blank and light flashes.... cant see nothing have to open up in safe mode remove my nvidia drivers so i can use again... however wont let me play anygames since it now wont recognize i have a reasonable graphics card.

try to let Vista update the drivers. as i remember, you have to go to M$ site and check the updates to do on all your programs, (i think you need to dl something) and tada, after reboot it shows that it is installing drivers. btw u must not have any drivers at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back