imon vfd,
    x-fi elite pro
    msi passive 8600gts replaced cooler with borg hpc
    asus p5k
    core2duo e6600
    2gb ddr2 800
    windows vista ultimate (32-bit)

The problem I have is as follows:

When I turn the computer on, it boots as normal, but my monitor receives no signal. I know the gpu is seated correctly because I hear the Windows startup sound and the bios doesn't beep at me. I have tried multiple monitors and component output to my projector, to no avail. If i turn the computer on, wait a few seconds, turn it off, back on, off, back on, off, back on, eventually it will boot just fine and will run perfectly. I don't know where to start with a problem like this! I have never turned on the computer with success first time, it is always at least 3 attempts. I'm not even sure if this's a graphics card problem, but I can't think what else it could be. Please help me!

2. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

Do you have the GTS connected to the psu also?

3. mr_rodge

mr_rodge TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi, Yes, I can confirm I have it connected. That was a quick response!

4. mr_rodge

Hi, Yes, I can confirm I have it connected. My psu is the QTechnology Semi-Fanless PSU. That was a quick response! :)

5. kpo6969

I have a 8600GT, if I ran the GTS I would have to connect but the GT doesn't. What drivers are you using?

6. mr_rodge

I'm not sure what driver revision, but it was only downloaded directly from nvidia the day before yesterday. I can't see it being a driver issue, because I don't even see the POST. I can't access the BIOS or anything. This's confusing because you'd think that I'd get a BIOS error, and the computer wouldn't boot.

7. kpo6969

What kind of psu and specs do you have on it?

8. mr_rodge

It's QTechnology Semi-Fanless PSU, 400W. I don't know much more about it. It can be found on quietpc.com.

9. kpo6969

I'm just gonna guess it's your psu, either not enough juice or it's giving out. The 12v rail rating can be misleading.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/Silentmaxx-Fanless-400-Watt-Quiet-Power-Supply-P20C1.aspx

It says 29A combined on the 12v but your rails are 17A + 17A
    For example I have a Dell 305w psu rated at 22amps
    My 12v rails are 18A + 18A 264w maximum divided by 12 = 22
    Yours does not list a 12v maximum watts

If you look here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763
    They don't even have a figure for it, it's listed I believe but amps couldn't be determined. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

10. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

It could be your PSU or just a faulty alignment. Have you tried reseating the card? That'll probably fix the problem. The PSU seems okay enough.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.