imon vfd,
x-fi elite pro
msi passive 8600gts replaced cooler with borg hpc
asus p5k
core2duo e6600
2gb ddr2 800
windows vista ultimate (32-bit)

The problem I have is as follows:

When I turn the computer on, it boots as normal, but my monitor receives no signal. I know the gpu is seated correctly because I hear the Windows startup sound and the bios doesn't beep at me. I have tried multiple monitors and component output to my projector, to no avail. If i turn the computer on, wait a few seconds, turn it off, back on, off, back on, off, back on, eventually it will boot just fine and will run perfectly. I don't know where to start with a problem like this! I have never turned on the computer with success first time, it is always at least 3 attempts. I'm not even sure if this's a graphics card problem, but I can't think what else it could be. Please help me!

I have a 8600GT, if I ran the GTS I would have to connect but the GT doesn't. What drivers are you using?

I'm not sure what driver revision, but it was only downloaded directly from nvidia the day before yesterday. I can't see it being a driver issue, because I don't even see the POST. I can't access the BIOS or anything. This's confusing because you'd think that I'd get a BIOS error, and the computer wouldn't boot.

I'm just gonna guess it's your psu, either not enough juice or it's giving out. The 12v rail rating can be misleading.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/Silentmaxx-Fanless-400-Watt-Quiet-Power-Supply-P20C1.aspx

It says 29A combined on the 12v but your rails are 17A + 17A
For example I have a Dell 305w psu rated at 22amps
My 12v rails are 18A + 18A 264w maximum divided by 12 = 22
Yours does not list a 12v maximum watts

If you look here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763
They don't even have a figure for it, it's listed I believe but amps couldn't be determined. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

It could be your PSU or just a faulty alignment. Have you tried reseating the card? That'll probably fix the problem. The PSU seems okay enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back