problem with playing full screen video

Status
Not open for further replies.

subspace

I'm trying to play some video files on my computer (ogg, mpeg, etc.). They all play in windowed mode. However, whenever I go full screen, the screen goes blank. I can still hear the sound from the video, but the screen is blank. I didn't have any problems with playing full screen video before.

This problem started happening a couple of months ago. It happens with media player classic, powerdvd, and intervideo windvd. I have no problem playing video in full screen using vlc player and windows media player. However, I really, really want to use media player classic and powerdvd for full screen video.

I even reformatted, but it didn't solve the problem. I ran a hardware diagnostic, and everything passed. I'm frustrated and out of ideas.

I'm running a Thinkpad T42, Windows XP Professional SP2, ATI Radeon 9600 (w/ 64 memory), and 512 ram.

Suggestions? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. :)

Have you virus scanned and spyware scanned recently? If so, with what?
Also have you scandisked and defragged recently?

"Have you virus scanned and spyware scanned recently? If so, with what?
Also have you scandisked and defragged recently?"

no need to scan. i just reformatted. fyi, i'm running nod32, zonealarm pro, spywareblaster, spybot, ad-aware, hijackthis. so malware/spyware is not a problem for me. Thank you though.

I have run hardware diagnostics, so it's not a hardware problem. I did a checkdisk (the really long one). I defragged as well, using diskeeper. any other suggestions? Thanks anyway for making sure. :D

Try lowering your resolution and play the video then. Sometimes PowerDVD can't play full screen at some resolutions.

i tried all resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, 1024x1280, 1400x1050. the result is the same no matter what.

i'm using klite codec pack full. it hasn't given me any problems prior to 2 months ago. it's been able to play everything.

Thank you all for your suggestions though. :D keep them coming!

What specifically are you trying to play, and try googleing free codecs. You could always try some out then uninstall them if they make no difference.

i'm specifically trying to play some .ogg video files. i've been installing and uninstalling codecs all night to no avail. i used "Gspot" to figure out what codecs i needed and i installed them as i needed. is the problem really a codec issue? i mean if it was, shouldn't i get no video at all?

There are different codecs for each technology, like OGG and Mpeg, so it's very possible one codec can be muxed (I made that word up), and so one type of video not work.
Obviously you probably searched for OGG codecs and tried to install a different one?

Sorry but if you get no video but still get audio, that really sounds like a codec problem I'm afraid. You been to www.free-codecs.com? They have every codec pack imaginable, and I think they have a tool called the video toolbox, or maybe codec toolbox, which also shows all your codecs, and can show you what codecs are needed for a particular file, you can try that I suppose.

I use KLite also, and occasionally have issues, requiring me to just toss in the towel and load the "real" Quicktime or whatever it is.

Anyway, can't suggest much more except keep playing with the codecs.

hmm, pretty odd. it plays video while windowed, but no video while full screen. codec problem, eh? hmm, alright. i'll uninstall all my codecs and avoid klite codec pack. instead, i'll try installing other codecs from free-codecs.com. i'll update again on the status after i do this. thanks again.

subspace said:
I'm trying to play some video files on my computer (ogg, mpeg, etc.). They all play in windowed mode. However, whenever I go full screen, the screen goes blank. QUOTE]

I had a problem similar to that, errmm I think I updated DX and it worked OK, something like that, or the video driver was wrong/outdated,

Or was it that I had TV out enabled.

I'll try to reget the problem and post back.

alright. thanks again. i guess i'll try to screw around with DX. it's a thinkpad t42 though. there isn't a tv out option... at least i don't think...

i updated DX + pretty much went through the entire all-in-one codec packs on free-codecs.com. still gives me the same problem... :/

If it's not a codec issue, then it is probably those particular programs. PowerDVD has a bunch of options for video and I suppose you've played with those? You said that the files work in Media Player and vlc player, so now maybe it is just a problem with Pdvd or MPC?

Media Player has a video option for software or hardware rendering, I think default is hardware, not sure. But if pdvd is using the opposite, that might be why MP plays and they don't.
You could also look for a newer video card driver as well. I suppose you downloaded your currect one from IBM? If not, check if they have a newer driver.

Other then that, assuming the files still play fine in other players, it could be a problem with configuration of hardware or the player itself.

Vigilante said:
If it's not a codec issue, then it is probably those particular programs. PowerDVD has a bunch of options for video and I suppose you've played with those? You said that the files work in Media Player and vlc player, so now maybe it is just a problem with Pdvd or MPC?

Media Player has a video option for software or hardware rendering, I think default is hardware, not sure. But if pdvd is using the opposite, that might be why MP plays and they don't.
You could also look for a newer video card driver as well. I suppose you downloaded your currect one from IBM? If not, check if they have a newer driver.

Other then that, assuming the files still play fine in other players, it could be a problem with configuration of hardware or the player itself.

oh wow... how could i miss that? the hardware acceleration option was by default unchecked. i checked it, and powerdvd works just fine in full screen. i just tried media player classic and it worked as well. thank you guys very much! :) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back