TechSpot

Problem with Quicktime

By SeagullSid
Mar 15, 2005
  1. This problem is really annoying. There are many websites I visit that I'm unable to view. The page usually appears as a black screen with the Quicktime "Q" symbol in the middle, it stays like that for a few seconds, then the "Q" symbol is replaced by another "Q" with a rip through the middle of it, and that's as far as it goes. I've tried reinstalling Quicktime a few times, I've also checked that I have shockwave flash installed and running properly, but whatever I do, I can't get rid of the problem. Has anybody else experienced this, or does anyone know how to fix it please?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Have you tried uninstalling Quicktime altogether?

Could you give us an example of one of the websites?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

It looks like your Quicktime plugin is unable to access the media that is served by the webpage. Could be something with the network settings or just a bug in Quicktime.

Uninstalling QT is an idea unless the content served is in some true QT format.

4. SeagullSid

SeagullSid TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Thanks for the replies. I don't really want to uninstall Quicktime altogether, as I am using software that requires Quicktime to run properly. Here is a website where this problem occurs for example: http://www.granturismoworld.com/

5. dopefisher

dopefisher TS Rookie Posts: 444

i think he meant uninstall then reinstall

6. howard_hopkinso

I`ve just been to the web page in your post and have no problems with the content. I don`t have Quicktime installed.

If you click on programme access and defaults you can cutomise which player to use as the default player.

It`s more than likely that Quicktime is set as the default player at the moment.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

7. SeagullSid

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it doesn't solve the problem. Sorry Howard I don't understand, where do I find "programme access"? Is it in Explorer? only I'm using Netscape at the moment. Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

8. SeagullSid

I fixed it......

Just to let you know I fixed this problem, I went into the Quicktime video settings and disabled all the DirectDraw options and enabled safe mode, and now everything is working properly. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

9. howard_hopkinso

Glad you fixed the problem.

You can find programme access and defaults by clicking the start button.

It should be near the top of the list that appears.

I`m assuming that your running XP

Regards Howard :cool:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.