Problem with Sony VAIO VGN-FS660/W

Status
Not open for further replies.

raul_bejarano

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FS660/W and have a problem with the CD/DVD unit. Recently the computer was full of viruses and I had to re-install the OS, it has Win XP Pro. I lost my system restore CD's, so I had to search for a copy of these CD's and got a copy from a friend. Since the re-installation, the problem began: It only reads original CD's. When I load a burnt CD or DVD, it shows a single windows media player file, with a size of 0 bytes, no matter what is the actual content of the CD or DVD. Before the re-installation it read everything fine. Now, for example I have a burnt CD with a copy of some drivers and can't open it because of this issue. What could be the reason of this problem? A mis-installed driver, or a patch for the OS to read burnt CD's?

raul_bejarano,
go to the Sony Vaio support website and see if there is a firmware update for your model

I have the same exact problem.I have done the firmware update and have had no such luck. Although the update is successful, the issue isn't resolved. The drive reads factory dics but no burnt CDs or DVDs. To circumvent the problem, I network another computer and share the DVD drive on that system. This laptop has hardly any mileage, yet it seems to me that there is something physically wrong and not a software issue. Any suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back