Problem with video card (multi monitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthKirby

Hey,

I just bought a Radeon 7500 PCI for my computer (No, I dont have an AGP slot, and yes, I know PCI sucks, and no, I don't have enough money to buy a new mobo). Then I tell my online friend about it, and he says that the card might not work with my computer because my comp might not support multiple monitors.

So then I email eMachines tech support (Yes i know, eMachines suck). I just got the reply, here's what he said:

"When purchasing the card I recommend checking with the manufacturer to make sure the card does not support multiple monitor/video and is capable of disabling the onboard video. The motherboard is designed to disable the onboard video when a new video card is installed. Some newer video cards that have multiple monitor support will have issues running some programs or loading Windows.

I advise against installing a Radeon 7500 PCI video card."

So now I dont know what to do. I havent yet opened the 7500, so I could still take it back, but what video card should I get now? I already bought a GF4 MX420, then I took it back after coming to my sences. I can't think of any other cards to get :(

I am massively frustrated and in need of a good suggestion. Just to let you know, I'll have $120 if I take the Radeon card back.

-Kirb

Fill yer boots! Disable the onboard video (which sucks and uses system resources) the dual display function is handled by your video card, not the motherboard. Make sure you have the 2nd display hooked up, or you could end up with a black screen (been there, done that, it also sucks!)

** Before spending $100 on a new motherboard, I would just buy a 2nd hand computer and use the old one for 'experiments' (such as a web server... which actually is what I do). At a computer repair shop (not the big chains) small local stores or pawn shops, usually have decent computers at a really good price. All you need is the tower as you have the monitor, mouse, etc. Example... I advised my friend to do this and she paid about $200 Canadian for a P4 2.4 gig processor, 80 gig hard drive, 512 megs ddr2 ram, dvd combo/cd rw. The thing is better than MY computer!!! (though I kinda got mine tweaked.. a little... )
Main point here, don't beat a dead horse. Don't put a lot of money into upgrades when for a little more you can get a better system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back