TechSpot

Problem with vista at startup.

By ryan29121
Jan 8, 2008
  1. I just bought a copy of vista ultimate x64 and installed it, updated all the graphics drivers, downloaded all the vista updates and restarted. After about a few restarts into vista It would not start. After the vista boot screen it displayed a screen full of black, white and gray squares and would not go any farther. What would cause this? Bad video drivers. I got the 169.28 graphics drivers for vista x64 which is the newest out. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. aodmystic

aodmystic TS Rookie

Okay first question for you Ryan. Is this on a desktop you built yourself or a notebook? If its a notebook what brand name or even if its a brand name desktop that maybe you bought from a retailer. Cause if you can I would do what is called a system recovery which can be reached by hitting F11 on most HP notebooks and desktops not really sure about anything else, cause I work for HP and thats the only ones I troubleshoot besides the ones I build myself. Cause it could be the fact that maybe your system cant handle the 64-bit version of Vista cause its such a resource hog.

3. ryan29121

ryan29121 TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 173

It is a custom built computer by myself. I'm running a q6600 quad which should definitely support vista 64. This is a weird problem bc it should work.

4. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

Welcome to Vista....

Have you tried hitting F8 just after the POST screen & tried "Last Good Config". or SafeMode & doing a restore?

5. ryan29121

ryan29121 TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 173

The funny thing is that I booted into safe mode and it boots fine, after I do nothing in safe mode I reboot and it boots perfectly into vista. Once I restart my computer it does the same thing forcing me to boot into safe mode and reboot every time I want to use my computer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.