TechSpot

Problem with Win98SE when I ran NU WinDoctor

By PFJ
Feb 17, 2005
  1. Greetings,

I had a number of viruses on my old AMD/Athlon computer and I ran several virus checkers - Adware (Lavasoft) & Stinger? & Norton Antivirus. I was surprised to see so many of those nasty bugs & viruses that I've read and heard about listed at the end of the scans. Then a colleague advised me to run Nu that he had downloaded - just to make sure that my PC was working in top condition. Now I get the following:-

"Access to specified device, path or file is denied"
    with no "Open" displayed in the menu and no programs will open unless I go to the 'Run' in the StartUp Menu.

What have I done!? and how do I undo what I've done...?

Anybody?

2. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 79

First off, learn to scan for viruses in safe mode. In normal mode, malware could load up and interfere with AVs. Boot up and hit F5/6/8. Can't remember the w98 key. Then run AV's.

Another good thing to do is to boot from CD and scan the computer.

http://nyquil-kid.dyndns.org/

It can mount NTFS and save results to a file. I run it on my home PCs weekly.

After, google "easy cleaner" and run it to clean registry.

Then do www.norton.com online scan.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

You only scanned the computer, didn't fix?
    I didn't know Norton Utilities is freely downloadable.
    Maybe the downloaded Norton Utilities had a virus or two. Maybe you 'fixed' too much with Windoctor. It has a history feature, doesn't it?

4. PFJ

PFJ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 112

Thank you Fishhookz & Mictlanlecuhtli for your response

You could be correct in that statement - my granny always said 'that a little learning is a dangerous thing'. I then to suffer from overkill by nature.

The problem with not being able to OPEN programs from the menu and other 'denied access' problems is not critical. I can still access my data. This particular PC is used for instrument data acquistion and is not connected to the server or modem - although it once was and therein lies many of the reason for the viruses accumulated.

The Nu has a folder name RegUndo the appears to contain 132 registry files. Perhaps these are the root cause of my problem - although I will tackle the suggestions you were both kind to offer.

BFN

5. PFJ

PFJ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 112

Finally bringing closure to this thread & problem.

I found a REG_Undo folder with the 132 registry files in the Nu folder. Using the Run>Regedit>Import Registry files>one by one did not provide a solution. Then I opened the Reg-Undo folder and selected all>[right click]Merge and the 132 requests started to fill the screen. Pressing OK to each and the restarting provided a cure. Now I can open programmes and I don't get the warning message 'Access to specified device path or file denied'.

Again, I would like to thank those who took the time to respond especially Fishhookz & Mictlanlecuhtli.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.