TechSpot

problem

By Wintendo
Feb 12, 2004
  1. I can't open Search for Files or folders. I try to open it but nothing happens. Can anyone help me ?

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Some of us need a little more info, e.g. operating system you use

3. Wintendo

Wintendo TS Rookie Topic Starter

sry. I'm runnig Windows Xp Pro. Service Pack 1

4. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

and when you try to open it, what happens? does your system slow down while it tries to open it, and then go back to normal? Does the eggtimer cursor show? doeas it just act like you never tried to open it? do you get an error message?

5. Wintendo

The eggtime shows and the computer laggs for a sec then just returns to normal.

6. Liquidlen

If you are not getting any error messages than try this article at Microsoft # 307980

7. Spike

Sounds like a classic case of an application failing to start, which is a common problem that can be caused by a couple of different things.

Not meaning to be insulting, but are you an administrator? has the service been diabled on your account by an administrator? but most importantly, have you tried restarting the machine?

8. Wintendo

I am a administrator on this machine and I haven't disabled anything on it and yes I have restarted the computer many times.

9. Liquidlen

Windows calls this the 'Search Companion" maybe it's executive file is corrupted or missing.

10. Spike

yea. I was just looking for that in windows and system32. I didn't fin'd it. maybey it's in a win32 exe, and it's pointed to by the registry. I'd need to know more about it to help furthr. still, at least we know what the syptoms are now, and have eliminated a couple of possibilties. Will try to do a little research, and will be keeping a track of this thread! :)

11. Liquidlen

try one or both of these at microsoft

12. Wintendo

I have done what Liquidlen pointed out. But still nothing.

13. Wintendo

I think this has something to do with netturbo, because I downloaded that few weeks ago and unistalled it right away. But after that installation my computer has been slowing down from time to time and sometimes frezzing. Ie dosen't work sometimes. I have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus 2004 pro, ad-aware 6 build 181, S&D spybot 1,2 and they didn't find anything.

14. Liquidlen

Wintendo
    When u applied the fix for your problem from Article 319949 ,did you see a file name for the executive file for 'search companion'?
    If you did do a search on another machine and see if you can plot where it is supposed to be , and then check your computer.Also you should search the registry on the good machine.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.