Problematic P4 3.4 Prescott Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have an Acer Aspire T310 with a P4 2.8 and I am trying to upgrade the CPU to a p4 3.4 prescott.

My PC works fine with the 2.8. When i put the 3.4 in I find that it is really difficult to get it to boot at all. My monitor is blank - there are no errors. I have upgraded the PSU to 480W and I have got a better heat sink/fan. Plus I have updated the bios.

I know the CPU works, because on odd occasion it has actually booted up?!

I have looked at the capacitors near the CPU and they look in good nick.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My voltage is dropping?!

I thought my new power supply would cut it. Its a 485W Enermax EG465P-VE. I have 2 hard disks and a 6800 GT card (uses a power connector for its fan) and a USB expansion card.

I looks like the 12V supply is dropping. I have found unplugging some USB devices helps a little bit. I have tried switching round the power connecters, but the voltage seems to hover around 11.96v to 12.03v. With everything connected it drops to 11.76v which makes the odds of booting a lot harder. I dont appreciate why the intial startup voltage has to be 12V but later it works fine if it drops below this.

Apart from upgrading the power supply again. Any ideas?

You don't need to upgrade the PSU again I'm pretty sure. Enermax is a really good brand of PSU. In fact I have the same one as you in my system. I'm pretty sure the system would be fine at 11.76v. My old PSU ran at 11.31 V pretty much all the time, and I used that PSU for 6 months before I got a new one. The system was fine all that time. Are you sure that your motherboard supports Prescotts? Or if it does, does it support CPUs of that speed?

I am writing this with my P4 3.4 CPU in, so i can get it to boot after a few attempts. I got it to boot on the second attempt after I unplugged my 60gb USB drive and USB PDA docking base from my USB expansion card (both of which have been plugged in without any problems using the P4 2.8 CPU). I guess both of theses are draining power from the motherboard.

I researched my motherboard and it supports this processor. The bios detects the hyper threading feature (displays all the correct details in the bios) and it is 100% stable when it is running. Would there be a jumper on the motherboard that could help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back