Problems after 8.1 'update'

Hi, I hope you can help me. Apps won't update, some apps will not access internet, icons appearing on desktop. Java repeatedly tries to update. Generally slowing down.
I reviewed a few of the threads here and ran Malwarebyte and Roguekiller last night. The Malwarebyte log isn't in 'history', I can't find the Roguekiller log either. I just created a system restore point. Now I'm lost.
Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks

(I accidentally posted this in OS)

I moved your topic to Windows section.
If the issue happened after some Windows update as your title states then I don't see how it's malware related.

In the latest "computeract!ve magazine" it's mentioned that Microsoft have recently issued some problematic updates. They've also kept quiet about the issues presumably because everything has been OK for most users. "Computeract!ve" suggest that you remove the updates but in some cases the instructions are complicated and the information is not easy to find on the Microsoft site.

From what I understand about 8.1 is it isn't really an update it's more a different operating system. It tells you it's an update but it reconfigures a lot of your system. We regret installing it and wish we could go back to '8'. I'm not sure if that is an option for us, 8.1 is supposed to remove all traces of the old OS.
I also suspect we may have an infection or two. The scans I performed did indicate suspiscious activity.
Do you have any suggestions on what I should do next?
Thanks Bazz2004.

Thanks Cobalt006.
I think I can do that through the 'action center'. I didn't want to take the chance of making things worse. Is a Refresh complicated?

I don't think removing the updates referred to means going back from 8.1 to 8.0. Unfortunately it's hard to be sure. What a mess Microsoft are making of everything. I remember upgrading from 98 to Windows XP and the customer support I received from Microsoft was superb. How things have changed.

I switched on my W7 laptop yesterday and there were a zillion updates. Aaaargh!!!

I'm now on my netbook which has 8.1. I have no additional security software running because the OS is said to be very secure. It's unlikely that you have a virus unless you surf in dark areas so I'd try uninstalling any third party stuff you have. Often I've found security software conflicts to be the cause of problems.

Now finding your way round the latest Windows OS is not intuitive. During my upgrade forom 8.0 to 8.1 things went wrong because although I thought 8.0 was fully updated it wasn't and that messed up the 8.1 installation. I knew I wanted Control Panel to sort it out but couldn't locate it.

I suggest that you go to Control Panel. From 8.1 you can find it from the Start screen. Click on the little arrow at the bottom and it takes you to apps. Scroll left looking for Windows System. That'll get you to Control Panel. You'll see System and Security. In there you can firstly look in System which will tell you whether you have 8.0 or 8.1 and whether Windows is activated. There's Windows Update there too so you can look at update history to see what's failed.

There were 11 updates waiting for me today and one is optional. KB2984006 which is said to resolve Windows problems. Although I am not a fan of 8.1 I have used third party software to set it up like XP and it has been steady as the proverbial rock. Best of luck.

Back