Problems after installing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I recently purchased a new custom PC. It came with 1GB (2 x 512MB DDR2 PC5300). I decided to buy some more RAM and got 2 sticks of 512MB DDR2 PC 4200. After installing all four sticks, the computer does not start, the monitor does not detect a signal and nothing happens. Sometimes after re-seating the sticks it does work, but then it randomly shuts off. Sometimes it just starts and gives me an "BIOS ROM Checksum error". After removing the two new sticks everything is fine.

Is it the memory that's bad?

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Asus M2N4-SLI motherboard
eVGA Nvidia Geforce 7600GS 512MB PCI-E
2x512 DDR2 PC5300
2x512 DDR2 PC4200
Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Mixing ram speeds is never a good idea. Best case scenario is that your motherboard will automatically underclock all your ram to match the speed of the slowest stick (all your ram will run at PC4200 speeds).

You can try and update your bios to see if that doesn't get you up and running, otherwise you'll likely need to return that ram, and get some PC5300 ram.

Take out the sticks that came with it and put in just the two sticks and see if that works and if it does turn on run memtest and if doesnt there your problem also you could try putting in one of the types of memory sticks and one of the others so there just two one of each kind and then see if it works

It turns out the new sticks are bad.Tried booting up the PC only with those two DIMMs and did not work.
Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back