Problems after liquid cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Thermaltake Big water cooling system seeing as my case is a POS and has no air ciruclation. I overclock often, usually when gaming and I have never had problems. However, after painstakingly installing the liquid cooling system, I discovered that my computer was acting senile. When I'd power up, it would do one of the following:

1-The computer would power on but nothing would appear on the screen.
2-It would power up to that black screen where it scans the memory etc and then restart.
3-It would let me sign in but after that, restart.
4-It restarts whenever I plug something in, even headphones
5-It restarts if i move it.

Systems specs:
Mobo-Abit AA8XE-Fatal1ty
Processor-Intel P4 3.4 GHZ
RAM-Corsair 1gb
Vid-Radeon X800XL
Hardrive-Western Digital 120gb 7200rpm SATA
Power-550Watt

At first I thought it may have been the temp, but I finally got into the BIOS and discovered it was hovering around 30 degrees Celsius. The only other thing I can think of is the power supply. Maybe it can't handle the liquid cooling? The only way I got it to start up for a long period of time is when i cleared the CMOS. I've ran a few diagnostics with Checkit and all of them have passed. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated seeing as I am in quite of a bind.

Band of power supply?

There's a thread somewhere around here which says that most cheap power supplies don't get anywhere close to the rated power, as the conditions needed to get to the rated power is at impossible temps (and probably theoretical rates).

Another problem MIGHT be that while installing the W/C system you might have loosened some connections or something. Probably not the case, but might help.

Better check there is no leakage too.... but if you had installed it properly leakage shouldn't be a problem.

Can't think of any real problem though....

don't be so sure.... it does sound like the power supply, but then 550 watt is huge.

As sporadic as this problem is i would say iy could be one of two things

-Faulty PSU, either broken or a bad brand that gets a lot less wattage then as advertised.

or
-During the instalation you damaged the Motherboard, (like breaking a capacitor) and it is shorting out at different times.

And the fact that it does reboot everytime and does not hang (like a psu often does) i would say it could fit into the last option more.

The thing to do? Check and see around the board for any visible damage. ANd try a new trusted PSU.

Sean

more news

Please tell me if it could be the powersupply. I have my computer up and running and it has been running for about 20 minutes so far. I took out the power to the cd drive and it seems to be ok. Does this narrow it down to the powersupply?

There is a good chance the issue is the power supply, especially if it is a generic one.

If you are powering your liquid cooling setup off the PC PSU (which I do not recommend) I would strongly suggest you invest in a quality power supply, such as a newer ThermalTake, Antec, Enlight, Sparkle or Enermax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back