Problems after logging in on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a problems after logging in on my computer.

After I log in on the welcome screen. It loads my background image and my mouse. Then gives me the viewmgr has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the incovienence. Then it gives the same message with Google Installer.

It doesn't let me do anything after except open windows task manager with ctrl+alt+del

Loading the last known good configurations didn't work either.

I went to the safe mode screen. It doesn't show anything but black background + mouse. It just says safemode + Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206- 1234 Service pack 3. It also lets me go to the windows task manager.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have a Toshiba with Windows XP

Open the Task Manager in Safe Mode or Normal Mode.
Click on the File Menu - New Task
Click the Browse button.
Left click on My Computer (on the left side)
Right click on Local Disk C:\
Left click on Properties.
Left click on the TOOLS tab (on the C: drive properties window)
Left click Check Now.
Left click on 'automatically fix file system errors'
Left click on Start.
Left click YES to schedule the scan to run on reboot.
reboot and let the chkdsk run.

At this point there isn't enough data to know if you're infected. You may have corrupted files causing your problem.

After running the chkdsk scan, please report back if the symptoms are the same, better, or worse.

In Task Manager under processes, do you see EXPLORER.EXE running?
You can End that task and reload it.
Click on File Menu - New Task - type: explorer.exe
(sometimes reloading explorer will help depending on your issue although it sounds like more work will need to be done)
(this can still be a problem related to corrupted files, so make sure you run a chkdsk / scandisk / consistency scan)

From taskmanager, using the File menu - New Task - type: iexplore.exe (internet explorer).
If your web browser works, try to download, install, run, & create logs shown in the 8 steps:
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Hope that helps.
Zyldar

After I check 'automatically fix file system errors' and click start, it says windows was unable to complete the disk check.

When I try the explorer.exe, it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the file.

I can't access the control panel too(to reenable my internet connection). It gives me the same message as explorer. I disabled my internet connection shortly after it gave me some problems incase there was a virus.

I can use an usb stick to transfer the files from the 8 steps. (Which I am in the process of doing)

I did step 1 & 2. I can't do step 3. I can't access my system icons for avira to disable it.

When I try running the install file for malawarebytes, it lists it under processes but not applications. I don't see the install screen for it. Is it because I didn't disable the real time monitoring programs?

See if either of these programs will fix a possible permissions problem:

RatsCheddar
It is a Policy Controller program written by Rathat to remove certain restrictions on XP systems often disabled by malware.
  • 1Download RatsCheddar.zip and save it to your desktop.
  • 2Extract (unzip) the file to the desktop.
  • 3Double-click on RatsCheddar.exe to launch the tool.
  • 4Select Enable for everything listed, then click Exit.
  • 5Restart your computer.
Warning: This program was developed for Windows XP ONLY. Do not run this program in any
other Operating System.

OR

FixPolicies.exe from Bill Castner:
  • 1Download FixPolicies by Bill Castner and save to your desktop
  • 2Double click on FixPolicies.exe to run it.
  • 3Click on Install. It will create a folder named FixPolicies on your desktop.
  • 4Open the FixPolicies folder.
  • 5Double click on Fix_policies.cmd to run it. Command Prompt will open and close quickly; this is normal.

This is not malware help. It is only an attempt to fix a policy problem- if 'policy' is the problem.

I was in the process of the 8 steps but I couldn't do step 3.

When I try installing malawarebyte's. The install screen freezes after like halfway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back