Problems clicking things in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceOfComp

Hardware: HP Pavilion Entertainment PC DV9700t (Laptop)

So, I've been having this problem with my computer for the whole 1 1/2 years I've owned it. I would be in one application and switch to another then I can't click on anything, the mouse moves and works but it wont work on clicking on buttons or icons. Sometimes I can click something in the quick launch bar and by the time it opens I can't click anything in the program. Sometimes in full screen programs (games) it will minimize the program like Im trying to click on something on the desktop, now the only way to "fix" the problem is press ctrl+alt+del and when the options page comes up I click on cancel once to get the clicking working again and once more to close the options, after i do this I can click again.

i've been bouncing around the net recently trying to figure out what my computers problem is, now you see, I recently bought a new hard drive and loaded the OS again with the "factory settings discs" which means the OS plus all the crap that the company throws on there that u need to uninstall right away that serves no purpose. So you would think a clean install would fix it? Nope, same problem with the "new" install. I think that there might be a problem with some of the beginning software installed or maybe with the desktop windows manager (dwm.exe in system processes)

Does anyone have any insight for me on this problem? Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking it's either a driver issue or something is mechanically wrong with the mouse. If it's a driver problem, perhaps you can find newer drivers at HP's website. If it's the built in pad, there's not much you can do to fix it at home. You could try a USB external mouse.

OK, so some more information i failed to include on my original post.

It doesnt matter if I use a USB mouse or the touchpad, and it seems to be a relationship between the taskbar/startbar vs the desktop/programs/icons....
if one allows me to click on buttons and such then the other one doesn't.

There is no set time it does it, sometimes just random, sometimes specifically after I start a program.

Synaptics Pointing Devices driver is installed, and the icon for it is in the system tray, so it is is a constant process. I thought about uninstalling it but it came with a harsh warning about touchpad not working when i tried... I thought and still think I guess, that there would be default windows driver that would kick in. I don't know, does anyone know more about this "Synaptics ointing Devices"?

Looking at Synaptics' website, they say to go to the system manufacturer's website for the appropriate Synaptics driver. Where did you get the driver?

the synaptics drivers were the ones installed with the "factory install", but it is not important now because I uninstalled the drivers and the touchpad still works and so does my usb, but I still have the problem... I'm so lost...

The point of going to the website is for the newest drivers available. The new drivers may have fixes that correct previous problems.

well, I wouldn't know what type of touchpad I have, it obviously came with the ltop,do you know how to look that kinda stuff up. I already uninstalled the drivers though and still have the problem. I think that there is another problem.

You only need to know the model of your laptop and you should be able to find all the drivers for it. But if you are determined not to try, that's up to you.

thanks for your help mailpup, I will dl and install new drivers and see if that helps! I will be reposting letting you know yes or no if it helped. Thanks again! -Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back