TechSpot

Problems Closing opened documents

By raebabe
Nov 4, 2004
  1. I have a user that needs an excel document closed. When you try to open it it will tell you that it is opened but it dosn't tell you by whom so it's read only.

I'm thinking the individual who had it open has closed it since there is no name but that it's stuck in their temp files; in which case they need to reboot but we don't know who needs to reboot and we don't reboot machines on the server at night in case we need to push patches to them.

I've tried copying the files to my HD and deleting them from the server but they always reappear. I tried also to take ownership and then deleting them but that does nothing to help.

Does anyone have any other ideas that DO NOT include rebooting the server?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Copy the file's contents over into a new spreadsheet. Then save that under a different name. Abandon the file that gives problems, send an email to all possible users until you find the real owner.

3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

You should also be able to remove the 'read only " attribute as Admin.

4. raebabe

raebabe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 64

The thing is that when you go to properties on the document it dosn't say it's "read only." It says that when you open the document because someone else already has it open.

We did send an e-mail out to the office that has permissions to that folder but we havn't heard back yet to know if that worked (in other words to know if everyone has read their e-mail and done what it said).

I'm sure they have shop meeting over there so hopefully it will be done by this afternoon.

Thank You for the help ;0)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.