Problems detecting my new SATA drive in Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new Seagate 300gb hd, and in addition to it a STLab Serial ATA PCI Card. I already had 2 WD 120gb hd's running in RAID 0 before this purchase.

So i installed the SATA card in order to add my 3rd drive since my mobo only supports 2. Originally i left my original drives attached to the mobo SATA connectors, and put the new 300gb on the card... however this cause the pc to try and boot from the new drive.. i guess the PCI slot must have higher boot priority than the mobo SATA connectors. I switched my old drives over to the new card and hooked up the new drive to the mobo. Everything booted up fine, and in the boot sequence all 3 drives were detected, however when i got into Windows, i could not see my new 300gb drive in Windows Explorer.

Should I not be able to see it here, and have the option to format it, etc. through Windows Explorer?

If someone could enlighten me as to what is going wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

You will first have to create one or more partitions on it, won't you?

Use Disk Management to do so: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Your new (empty) drive will show up there.

I think you could have modified the boot priority of the S-ATA card vs. the on-board S-ATA, but that will likely depend on the BIOS - both the one on the mainboard and the one on the card.

Thx :D

Awesome.. that was the step i was missing. I am formatting the new drive as we speak, and everything is goods... thanks again for your help :D

Kazor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back