Problems getting an OS install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boppa

Have a brand new build with exception of case, floppy & CD-ROMs. Seems I am unable to get WinXP to install. I have tried various CDs, Win98SE, WinXP Home Upgrade, WinXP Home full, and even the Windows XP SP2 CD. An attempt with the Home Upgrade resulted in "file 'hpt3xx.sys' not found. Failed. Restart. Have had several attempts bomb out with the classic 'BLUE SCREEN' ending. Problem detected and Windows shut down to prevent damage to computer. Followed by a list of possible causes. Ending with "TECH INFO. *** stop: 0x0000007E and next line *** pci.sys - address F748E0BF. Am going to give it another try later this P.M. (although I do not know why I should bother). I may have to go to MSI tech support - but am hesitant as I have heard it sucks. Plus, they are going to require me to disconnect everything and remove the m/b from the case which will allow me to read some of the numbers on that m/b that they will ask me for. It may be my only choice. Anyone have any brilliant ideas?? I have indicated system specs somewhere on this site and hope you are able to see them. THANX!!

When you attempt a full install using the WinXP SP2 cd, what error message did you get?

-- Andy

Unable to get OS install

Sorry, tried so many options various times I lost track. Have just tried these this P.M., use of a Windows floppy which is supposed to be used if no OS on system and apparently this then goes to the CD-ROM for the set-up CD, (it would not recognize a CD-ROM despite the load of the OAKCDROM driver), the WinXP Home Upgrade which got through the load of the set-up files, then went to a black screen and apparent re-boot with MSI logo screen coming on and this got me nowhere, and lastly the WinXP Home Full which gets me back to the load of set-up files and the 'BLUE SCREEN' award again. First blue screen with the Upgrade version did not mention the *** pci.sys - address stuff but the second one with the Full version did. As I said, I have tried numerous times with various results - none good. Mostly though, I guess is my winning the big BLUE. And, I thought IBM was the big BLUE!! Have now removed m/b from case as I am going into MSI tech support to report this issue. May retry the WinXP SP2 trick again if MSI drags their feet on this. Am hoping they are not going to be suggesting 'flashing BIOS' as I have never done this and I understand it can be a tricky maneuver. THANX for your question and response!

My thoughts, from what information you have given, are that you possibly have a fault in your HDD or CD-ROM drive. The reason I say that is if it keeps claiming to be missing files, it's quite possible that they are being lost due to hardware fault.

I personally wouldn't have jumped to removing the motherboard from the case... rather try replacing cables, hard drives, CD-ROM drives, etc. My guess is that if loads the files originally fine, and doesn't give any read errors from the CD, then your HDD could be bad, or possibly, if the worst-case scenario happens, your motherboard's controller for your storage devices could be bad.

Unable to get OS install

Well, anything is possible I suppose. This is a brand new HD. Have tried two or three CD-ROMs. These CDs have been used numerous times and could be that might be a problem with these. I have two other systems on which I can try an OS re-install with these CDs and see what I get. Seems to me though, that I have had a similar problem doing that also. As for removing the m/b, I had to in order to be able to see where some of the numbers necessary for MSI where. It is just a pain but not really a big deal. My ping-pong table in the basement looks like a computer repair shop with bit and pieces of several machines laying around. Am also trying to build a back-up system and hope to end up with only two usable computers. THANX for your response and help!

One thing you could try is resetting your CMOS... there should be a jumper somewhere on the board to do that, if not, take out the battery (small button-cell) and wait 30 minutes, put it back in and boot. That will reset everything. I'm not sure if that will help, but you can certainly try it. It basically resets the motherboard settings to defaults.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend trying another hard disk drive and/or another cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard if you are getting messages saying that a file is missing on the first boot of windows after a fresh load from the CD. This has saved me much trouble in the past, I was about to order a new motherboard but then I changed my HDD and cable out, and it worked like a charm.

Good luck getting everything to work ^_^.

Unable to get OS install

CMOS has been reset as well as having the battery removed. These cables are new. Only the case, floppy & CD-ROMs are not. While awaiting a response from MSI I will put another system together, put in (although not brand new) a newly formatted HD, and try some of your suggestions. Do not know where that is going to get me as I have tried multiple installs with multiple OS CDs on more than one system already. Will really pay attention to these attempts on this go-around. THANX!!

Unable to get OS install

Gentlemen (and/or ladies?): I thank you all for your responses and interest. I have found this P.M. that I have finally gotten an install (although not totally clean - several files were skipped) somehow by hook or by crook?? Again, I used various CDs to get to this point. The hardware was the same stuff I had been using and really I have no idea why. The new ATA HD, RAM, processor, & video card were what I have had in here from the beginning. The floppy was not utilized (though in the mix) and the IDE CD-ROM was at master on the cable. Of course, the ATA HD is on a cable by itself and is also set to master. Sort of strange(?) that while progressing we have the old via IDE with two per cable, and the new via ATA at only one! Might have thought that would be the other way around. At any rate, the Windows XP has been installed and may still cause me problems what with the two or three files I had to skip. It may well be that there is an issue with my CD-ROM reading. I do have one CD-RW and two other CD-ROMs but do not believe I could have attempted to change those mid-stream(to check on read problems) as I could with the actual CDs. Whatever, I am glad this whole deal may be over but with my luck I will put everything back in the case, hook it all up, turn it on and have it CRAP the bed on me for some ungodly reason. Maybe my success could be attributed to the GURU in the sky who felt sorry for me?? THANX again and perhaps I will be returning in the very near future (hopefully not for this same reason!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back