Problems installing RAM on Asrock K8U-760GX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have treid with no success to install an additional 512mb of ddr400 RAM on my PC.

I have an AMD 64 3000+ and Asrock K8-760GX mobo.

Both sticks of RAM are generic unbranded stuff, but are IDENTICAL (i purchased two sticks from a friend-came from the same PC). Both are: DDR400, 512mb.

Problem is that i have run the motherboard with each stick of RAM (and another i borrowed) and all work perfectly fine in either of the boards two available slots-it boots up fine etc.

However, no matter what order i put two stick in the two slots (be they the same pair or the one i borrowed), the computer will turn on but simply 'beeps' at me around every 1 second and the screen remains totally blank-monitor does not even try to turn on!

I have looked in the user manual-no help there! Also i have found a setting in the BIOS to increase RAM compatability-i have turned this on with no benefit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The fact that your computer wont post with both sticks of ram, indicates either uncompatible/faulty ram, or a faulty mobo.

Test the ram using the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is a pre-built iso version available, that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Let the programme run for at least seven passes. Check each stick of ram in both dimm sockets.

If the ram tests turn out ok, then I`d recommend you to rma the mobo, and see if that solves the problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

more than likely incompatible. RTFM for good brands.

going generic is NOT recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back