Problems installing Windows XP on new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks, first post here, hopefully you an help me as well as I've seen you help others.

I built a new computer for my mom this week, and everything is new save the OS
Gigabyte Mobo, 2800 sempron processor
agp radeon 9550
MDT 80 gig hard drive
256 megs 3200 DDR ram
maxtor 52x cdrw

the windows disk is one i bought for my computer, full version, and I just re-installed it on mine with no problems a few weeks ago.

On my mom's computer, i go to install, and everything seems kosher at first. When XP begins loading the initial set-up files, a warning pops up saying it cannt install a file (usually dvdplay or something benign) and gives the option to hit escape to skip. doing so leads to a couple dozen more file that cannot be installed, therefore xp cannot fully load, and crashes at the GUI part of the install. I have never seen a problem where files from the initial install can't be loaded onto a clean hard drive. I have formated and tried again with no luck. Sometimes when rebooting i get the error "NTLDR is missing" which indicates a problem with the partitioning or something? I'm not sure if they are related. could it be a bad hard drive? Any help you could give me is appreciated. thanks!

dj Baker

What is an MDT hard drive? I'm not familiar with that brand. In any case, is it a SATA hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back