Problems Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried re-installing windows xp yesturday, everytime its installing the countdown freezes at say 34minutes remaining till setup finishes. Today, I tried installing it again and it got to 10minutes and froze. I'm wondering what is the cause of this problem. Do you think it is the windows xp disk i am using? Or some other problem. Specs on my computer are 3.0Ghz w/ HT, 1gb of ram, 250gb HD, New Ninja Scythe Hs/Fan. Thanks

AssaultEX said:
I tried re-installing windows xp yesturday, everytime its installing the countdown freezes at say 34minutes remaining till setup finishes. Today, I tried installing it again and it got to 10minutes and froze. I'm wondering what is the cause of this problem. Do you think it is the windows xp disk i am using? Or some other problem. Specs on my computer are 3.0Ghz w/ HT, 1gb of ram, 250gb HD, New Ninja Scythe Hs/Fan. Thanks

Probably some kind of incompatibility, or a faulty component such as HD or memory as these are really the two things used most during install, I had XP refuse to install on some brands of Mobo, but as yours is a reinstall and you had it working before it wont be that.

You could try copying the source disk to your HD and see if it copies OK, as you say it could be a bad disk, it could also be overheating issue check for cooling blockages, also run the install with the side of the case off to increase cooling.

Just a couple of ideas, i'm sure someone else will be along with some more real soon...

I agree with Ididmyc600, it is most likely a hardware problem. what was the problem that prompted the reinstall?

well i tried to reinstall windows because every now and then when i start up my computer it freezes at desktop or it just restarts so i just reformated it.

Ididmyc600 said:
Probably some kind of incompatibility, or a faulty component such as HD or memory as these are really the two things used most during install, I had XP refuse to install on some brands of Mobo, but as yours is a reinstall and you had it working before it wont be that.

You could try copying the source disk to your HD and see if it copies OK, as you say it could be a bad disk, it could also be overheating issue check for cooling blockages, also run the install with the side of the case off to increase cooling.

Just a couple of ideas, i'm sure someone else will be along with some more real soon...

1.) The memory- it couldnt possibly be the ram because i've had this computer for quite a while now.
2.) HD - It could be the hard drive but i've intalled windows on it before.
3.) Overheating - I thought it was overheating at first and i just got the fan and installed then i tried reinstalling windows didnt work. It read 35C at PC health status.
4.) Disk - It could also be this problem, trying to find a disk now.

Thanks.

The memory- it couldnt possibly be the ram because i've had this computer for quite a while now.

Ram like any other component can go bad and cause problems. test it with mem test.

HD - It could be the hard drive but i've intalled windows on it before.

same as above. use your hard drive makers diagnostic software to test it.

Hmm.. i may not know exactly what im talking about here but... are you doing a full shop status restore or just a recovery??

A freind of mines pc would freeze up also when trying to perform any kind of restore.. the only way he got around this was to put his master cd in, quit to msdos.. type fdisk at the c:// prompt, and manualy format and repartition his hard drive.. Weird but true..

Hope this helps..

okay, so i tried a different hard drive. i go through setup then it says OS not found..so what is this? is my computer messing with me or something? I also tried a different CD nothing works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back