Problems loading XP on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have been given an Acer laptop to reload windows back on as it originally had XP pro but a suspect illegal copy and I am to load home edition using the coa on the bottom of the laptop.
The problem I am having is that
a) I can't get into the BIOS because of a password and the owner doesn't know the password and
b) When I boot up with the XP disc it goes straight to the recovery screen ie. "C" prompt, I can carry out the usual recovery options and have reformatted the hard drive but can't seem to get windows on it. I have tried going to the "D" prompt and load setup from the cd-rom but it won't accept the command.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what is going on here?

From what I know with laptops, the BIOS password isn't stored within the CMOS, so clearing it wouldn't help. I could be wrong with some though.

Everlong. I think you may be right, but what is puzzling me is why when I boot up with the xp disc it does not give me the usual options at the first menu? I have repartitioned and formatted the hard drive but because it goes straight to the recovery option when I boot up with the disc I cannot reload windows. It goes to the c: prompt but if I change to the D drive and type in setup it just tells me that the command is not recognised.

Err, yes, I believe Everlong18 is indeed correct, my apologies.

That said, I don't believe I will get away with posting software that cracks BIOS passwords, because every time I post software to crack Windows passwords, my posts are deleted or edited and threads get deleted or locked. I don't want my post be deleted, and even more so, I don't want to disrupt your thread so I won't post that information here.

However, perhaps a backdoor password will work?

AMI:
A.M.I.
AAAMMMII
AMI
AMI?SW
AMI_SW
BIOS
CONDO
HEWITT RAND
LKWPETER
MI
Oder
PASSWORD

Award:
(eight spaces)
ALFAROME
ALLY
ALLy
aLLY
aLLy
aPAf
award
AWARD PW
AWARD SW
AWARD?SW
AWARD_PW
AWARD_SW
AWKWARD
awkward
IOSTAR
CONCAT
CONDO
Condo
condo
d8on
djonet
HLT
J256
J262
j262
j322
j332
J64
KDD
LKWPETER
Lkwpeter
PINT
pint
SER
SKY_FOXSYXZ
SKY_FOX
syxz
SYXZ
TTPTHA
ZAAAADA
ZAAADA
ZBAAACA
ZJAAADC

Phoenix:
BIOS
CMOS
phoenix
PHOENIX

I finally managed to get windows loaded by hitting the esc key repeatedly at boot up. Don't ask me why it worked but it did so I am finally a happy bunny. I still have the password on the BIOS but I can live with that as I have achieved my aim to reload windowsXP.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back