TechSpot

Problems loading XP on a laptop

By Hodsocks
Apr 1, 2008
  1. I have been given an Acer laptop to reload windows back on as it originally had XP pro but a suspect illegal copy and I am to load home edition using the coa on the bottom of the laptop.
    The problem I am having is that
    a) I can't get into the BIOS because of a password and the owner doesn't know the password and
    b) When I boot up with the XP disc it goes straight to the recovery screen ie. "C" prompt, I can carry out the usual recovery options and have reformatted the hard drive but can't seem to get windows on it. I have tried going to the "D" prompt and load setup from the cd-rom but it won't accept the command.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what is going on here?

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

If it's worth your time (and theirs for that matter), why not clear the CMOS and take things from there?

3. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 372

When I find a way of clearing the CMOS I might try it.

4. Everlong18

Everlong18 TS Rookie Posts: 36

From what I know with laptops, the BIOS password isn't stored within the CMOS, so clearing it wouldn't help. I could be wrong with some though.

5. Hodsocks

Everlong. I think you may be right, but what is puzzling me is why when I boot up with the xp disc it does not give me the usual options at the first menu? I have repartitioned and formatted the hard drive but because it goes straight to the recovery option when I boot up with the disc I cannot reload windows. It goes to the c: prompt but if I change to the D drive and type in setup it just tells me that the command is not recognised.

6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

Err, yes, I believe Everlong18 is indeed correct, my apologies.

That said, I don't believe I will get away with posting software that cracks BIOS passwords, because every time I post software to crack Windows passwords, my posts are deleted or edited and threads get deleted or locked. I don't want my post be deleted, and even more so, I don't want to disrupt your thread so I won't post that information here.

However, perhaps a backdoor password will work?

AMI:
    A.M.I.
    AAAMMMII
    AMI
    AMI?SW
    AMI_SW
    BIOS
    CONDO
    HEWITT RAND
    LKWPETER
    MI
    Oder
    PASSWORD

Award:
    (eight spaces)
    ALFAROME
    ALLY
    ALLy
    aLLY
    aLLy
    aPAf
    award
    AWARD PW
    AWARD SW
    AWARD?SW
    AWARD_PW
    AWARD_SW
    AWKWARD
    awkward
    IOSTAR
    CONCAT
    CONDO
    Condo
    condo
    d8on
    djonet
    HLT
    J256
    J262
    j262
    j322
    j332
    J64
    KDD
    LKWPETER
    Lkwpeter
    PINT
    pint
    SER
    SKY_FOXSYXZ
    SKY_FOX
    syxz
    SYXZ
    TTPTHA
    ZAAAADA
    ZAAADA
    ZBAAACA
    ZJAAADC

Phoenix:
    BIOS
    CMOS
    phoenix
    PHOENIX

7. Hodsocks

I finally managed to get windows loaded by hitting the esc key repeatedly at boot up. Don't ask me why it worked but it did so I am finally a happy bunny. I still have the password on the BIOS but I can live with that as I have achieved my aim to reload windowsXP.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.