Problems making Raid floppy disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSochalski

I am trying to install windows xp home edition onto my computer.
My motherboard is a P4M900T-M version 1.0 by ECS Elite Group. Intel Socket 775.
When installing windows it won’t work unless I press F6 when prompted to, and insert a floppy containing certain drivers. I don’t know what drivers those are, but from help from someone else I downloaded the Raid drivers from the website and tried to use those. When I insert the floppy and press enter, it doesn’t seem to recognize it. It just thinks for a minute, and then asks me to insert the floppy. The mobo did not come with a floppy, only a CD. When I try to open the CD on another computer, it is my understanding that there should be a way to make the start up driver install floppy that I need. I however cannot get it to work, I don’t know what options to select to get there.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thank you,

Kevin

Just a detail question. After pressing F6, you then pressed "S," correct?

Make sure the SATA/RAID drivers on the floppy are not inside any folders. Just include the driver files only. I don't think this applies in your situation but if there is more than one brand of SATA/RAID controller used on the motherboard, use a second floppy for those drivers.

Interesting. I did put in as a folder. I will try it just the files now. and yes i did press s

thank you, ill let you know how it works

kevin

Ok, now when i open the folder that i was previously just copying to the disk, I have other folders that i dont know if i need, or what files i need. I dont have windows vista, but when i open the folder i have to choose between. Vista, x64, and x86 and there is also a file called txtsetup.oem which of those do i want? also when i open those folders there are other options, such as, security catalog, setup information, and system file.

any ideas?

thanks,

kevin

after i press s, it tells me to insert the "Manufacturer-Supplied Hardware Support Disk"

that is the right message i should be seeing correct?

Also I was told by a tech support guy that I wouldnt be just copying files onto a floppy, I need to use the CD to create a floppy that will run the drivers intall with the right files and and everything on it. I feel like I shouldnt be just downloading files onto a floppy and putting it in. It would seem like I need to use the motherboard CD do create what i need for the floppy. Does anybody know how to do that?

Thanks,
Kevin

Yes, that is the correct message and the tech support guy is correct. I had to do a similar thing with a Gigabyte motherboard recently. It didn't come with floppies either. On the other hand MSI boards I've used did come with floppies. Anyway. I downloaded your motherboard manual and I must admit it wasn't particularly helpful with regard to making the SATA/RAID floppy disk.

So, I downloaded the "VIA HyperionPro Driver" bundle. I looked around through some trial and error until I found what I think is the answer. Open the zip file and look under: VIA_Hyperionpro\VRAIDDrv\Readme for V-RAID Driver Disk Preparation Utility.mht.

I think that Readme file should tell you how to make the SATA/RAID floppy diskette.

Ok, this sounds very promising, i read through that readme and it sounds good. only problem is i dont know what version of windows xp i have. x64, or x86? does it matter? i have to choose one? how do i find out?

thanks
kevin

well i did it for the x86 and it still wouldnt recognize the floppy. should i try the x64? I just dont understand why it wont recognize the floppy. do i need to do something stupid, like close or open one of those windows in the corner of the disk or something?
I never really used the floppy drive when the computer was working but to the best of my knowledge it was fine, Frys electronics checked all of the hardware though, so it should be fine.

anything else i could be doing wrong?

thanks
kevin
what else can i find.

well the x64 didnt work either, and i double checked to make sure the floppy drive was plugged in, i never checked when i got it back from frys. I dont know what to do. Is there a way i can check to make sure its working using just the start up stuff? that would make me feel better if it wasnt working, then at least ill know why im having such a hard time with this.

thanks
kevin

Are you using a USB floppy or an internal floppy? Windows installation will only recognize an internal floppy drive. A USB floppy won't work.

Make sure the floppy cable connector is not installed upside down. It's an easy mistake to make. If so, the activity LED on the front should be on constantly. Otherwise you can either substitute a known good drive or try this one in another PC to test it.

If you are trying to install Windows XP x64 (64 bit), then use the x64 drivers. If not, use the x86 drivers for the standard 32 bit Windows XP.

yeah i dont know which one i am trying to install. i think its just the regular one, so its probably the 86? unfortunatly i dont have another desk top to plug it into, nor do i have another internal one to try in this computer. I only have a laptop for a second computer. Is there a program i can download that i can put onto a floppy and start up the computer and see if it runs. Similar to memtest for the ram or the Hard Drive tests? I havnt heard of one, but im sure someone has one out there.

Thanks
Kevin

I haven't heard of such a test but maybe someone else has. You could consider getting a new one since it doesn't cost that much. Click here for an example.

well according to fry's, i called them up, they said that the floppy is working fine. The version of windows im loading does have the service pack 2 so they are now telling me i shouldnt have to load those drivers. yet when its all installed and it reboots that final time and it tried to load windows, it flashes a blue screen and reboots. From what im told, if all of the hardware is fine,then that is probably a driver issue. what do you think? have you heard of a service pack 2 cd that requires extra drivers to be loaded on a computer that only has one hard drive?

Windows XP Service Pack 2 does have some SATA drivers but not all of them. If you have a SATA driver problem, then your motherboard is one of those that needs the extra drivers.

Were you unable to get the Via RAID disk driver utility to run? I would have run it to see how it works but I can't with my PC so I can't help you there.

I believe i got it to run. I got the same screens as shown in the read me file, and when i was done it told me i sucessfully created an install floppy or whatever, but it only took like 5 seconds between clicking start and it saying it was done, so i have no clue if it really did anything. I am assuming it did, which is why i am wondering about my floppy drive not working, but frys insists that it does. But when i go to load it, it doesnt seem to recognize that anyhting is in the drive. have any other ideas as to what the problem might be, frys insists that they loaded it succesfully onto another hard drive using all of my other hardware, but they want like 85 bucks to load it for me. im not fed up with trying it myself yet, nor do i like quiting on something once i start. there has to be something stupid i am missing. any thoughts?

thanks
kevin

The driver files are not that large. Can you use another PC to check the contents of the floppy disk?

One thing is not clear to me. Did you buy the PC partially assembled from Fry's like a barebones or did you assemble from scratch?

If you assembled it yourself, make sure the connectors on the motherboard and floppy drive are tight and not upside down (on the floppy end). The activity light on the front of the floppy drive is not on constantly is it?

I bought the computer all built from Cyber Power Systems. when the cpu crapped out, i put in the new mobo and cpu myself. As far as i can tell its in correctly, and not loose. However i looked to see if the light was on constantly and i noticed there isnt a light at all. physically there is an LED there, but it doesnt blink or flash or anyhting when the computer is booted up. is it supposed to? I dont know why it wouldnt have power going to it, the wires havnt been messed with or anything, and i dont know if they were even unplugged. Before i go unplugging and turning connectors over, is there any damage i can do by experimenting with the connectors orientation? i just want to make sure i cant break anything by turning them over to see if i can get a light to come on.

thanks
kevin

If the LED is always on, the connector at the back of the drive is upside down. I'm talking about the data connector, not the power connector. If the LED never comes on, then don't bother playing with the back connector. If I recall correctly, the floppy drive LED does light up briefly during startup of the PC. When you installed the new Mobo, you had to have removed and reinstalled the motherboard end of the floppy data cable. That end should be keyed. You can check if it is plugged in properly. If it is, then the floppy drive might have died too.

Hmmm, I took a look at the connectors, on the floppy side there doesn’t seem to be an indication of orientation. It’s possible that the power cord is not in correctly. I would assume that the floppy drive and its current installation are correct because like I said before fry’s was able to use it. However this idea that the LED does not even flash once during boot up has me wondering if they did their job. I am an auto tech so I have some electrical testing equipment, I just don’t do a whole lot with electronics. With that said, would unplugging the power connector at the floppy drive, and using a dvom to test for voltage there possible damage anything? I wouldn’t think so, it’s a high impedance meter so it shouldn’t cause any spikes, but I’m hoping you would know more than I about possible damages.
What do you think?
Thanks
Kevin

Yes, the dvom is a good idea. Not everyone has one of those. I believe there are two voltages to check. Click here for a guide on what voltages each pin carries. The two middle pins of the floppy connector are ground, the connector at the end of the red wire is 5V and the yellow is 12V. All DC.

Unless the power connector is forced in somehow, it shouldn't be upside down. It really only fits one way. It is the data connector that isn't foolproof. However, as I said earlier, the data connector doesn't seem to be the problem at the moment.

well i keep forgetting the dvom at work, plus im really busy. but in the meantime.. How do i go about checking in the bios to make sure that the floppy drive is activated or turned on or whatever?

thanks
kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back