Problems moving files from one hard-drive to another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I've got 2 Hard-drives on my computer - C: drive which is an 80GB IDE drive and F: drive which is a 120GB SATA drive.

Whenever I install a game altho it recognises the F: drive in the installation process it will freeze at about 10% and I'll have to restart the computer.

I tried copying a file from the C: drive to the F: drive and that also caused the computer to freeze around 10%.

If I look at the files that are already existing on F: drive I can see those with no issues, and can navigate my way around and load the files up completely fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the drive to freeze and lock up the computer?

Thanks

Oh I'm running Windows XP SP2 with AMD 3500+ processor and 1gb of RAM if thats any help.

To rule out drive failure, you should run a manufacturer's diagnostic utility on your drives... Your 120GB in particular. Bad sectors can create this behavior and if that is the case, you may want to look into sending it back under warranty or purchasing a new drive to replace it.

Here's a thread with links to different diagnostics.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Run the appropriate diagnostic a few times using the full test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back