Problems on initializing Samsung 80GB with Samsung's Disk Manager: Ontack(tm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problems on initializing Samsung 80GB with Samsung's Disk Manager: Ontrack(tm)

Hi!

There is some problem on my 80gb Samsung HD. The situation is this:

I have had an old computer which have an ancient motherboard.. because of the limitations of motherboard it was initializing Hd as 8gb.. I installed Samsung's Disk Manager program named Ontrack. It does something with the MBR to make the 8gb initialized HD as 80gb! When you're in bios setup, it says your samsung is 8gb but when you reset and wait for the system disk error message Ontrack activates and then your hd is 80 gb, you can install OS after that.

Here is the problem: I bought a new computer whose motherboard to initialize my 80GB hd as 80GB also, but things didn't happen like that. On bios setup it says my HD is 33gb.

I plugged the HD to my other computer and its partition magic 8 says "33gb BAD" also..

A modified MBR by a program (ontrack) can fool bios setup? if so, can i use XP CDs system recovery console with fixmbr command? İf it is not how can i make my hd back to normal (not for old motherboards, initialized as 80GB)??

New motherboard is MSI RS482M2-IL and because of this problem I cannot enable S.M.A.R.T. feature. I need help and thanks from now on!

If you are using XP then boot fromt eh XP Cd. Then delete the existing partition and create a new one and format that.

if ontrack thing doesn't loaded, xp and bios is initializing my hd as 33GB. deleting/creating/formatting partition will gave me only 33Gigabyted harddisk. in other words, there is no unpartitioned space other than 33GB.

47 is missing and even bios setup is agree on that. but with ontrack i have 80gb (and using now) even setup says i have 33.

shortly ontrack is correcting the misinitialized hd capacity for older bios versions but with my new motherboard/bios I think I must use my harddisk without this program and must have a 80 gb on setup screen.

p.s. anyway it has nothing to do with "32 gb clipping" jumper of my hd. my jumper settings are correct.

p.s.(2) with "setup" I mean "bios setup"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back