Problems opening programs in Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptonenz

I have been having problems lately where I will open a program but it will not show up. I open up taskmanager and it will be shown in there as running but it does not appear on the screen, it doesn't matter what program I open up I get the same problem.

Even if I try click on 'START / Turn Off Computer', the dialog box wont even show up. The only way to resolve it is to power down.

Anyone know what would be causing this and how I may fix it ?

Thanks,

Si

What graphics card do you have? If it can display to 2 devices you may be sending the app to the other device.

Have you installed anything on your comp recently or updated any software? Try System Recovery. Did System Restore help?

My graphics card does not support two monitor output, I have not installed any new software lately and I have run anit-virus and Ad-Aware software and nothing was found.

It seems I get the problem after I have opened up MSIE, after I have opened Internet Explorer (which opens fine) nothing else will open although task manager shows the programs as running.

Also when I shutdown, the system pops up with an END NOW dialog box for Connection Tray and also for Explorer, whether I click END NOW or just leave it the system just hangs and doesn't do anything at all and I have to cut the power to restart.

What anti virus and anti spyware software did you run? And have you run scandisk recently?

There`s someone with fairly similar problem HERE

"I would assume that the user who installed the app will have
appropriate permissions. But the following two situations would cause
an error:

1. The user installs under an "admin" account, but uses it under a
"plain user" account.

2. The app was installed by one person, and then used by another with a
different account on the same machine. Ie. installed by "Mom" and then
used by "the kid".

I did a system restore to a few days prior to when I started getting the problems and also a full drive scan. So far I am not experiencing any more problems, fingers crossed.

thanks for the help guys.

I spoke too soon, I still have the same problem. I am here using MSIE and I went to check my email so opened Outlook Express and it wont appear at all even though shows running in Taskmanager.

I am using Antivir Guard and Ad-Aware.

Peddant, I don't have any accounts set up on this PC.

I really don't know what else I should try now ?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`m not sure what your problem is caused by.

Lets see if we can eliminate viruses/spyware etc, as the cause.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Post a fresh HJT log into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Try this:
Insert Windows CD.
Go to My Computer/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs
Click tab Add Or Remove Windows Components.
Deselect IE, go through the install.
Now repeat except select IE.

After doing that see if IE still causes that. If it does i would just say screw it and uninstall it. Then install Mozilla Firefox since it is superior anyways(tabbed browsing :D).

Okay, something new I have noticed, there is alot of unknown upload data transfers going on. In the space of 3 minutes almost 2mb has been uploaded from my PC to somewhere !!

There must be a Trojan on my PC but I can't find it !

Here is my Hijack this log....

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Poker.com <This is a trojan downloader and must be got rid of.

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

poker.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ccc.govt.nz/weatherdata/waterweb.htm
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\secure32.html

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: Poker.com - {6FDD5236-C9F0-49ef-935D-385F5E21991A} - C:\Program Files\Poker.com\poker.exe

O16 - DPF: {F9043C85-F6F2-101A-A3C9-08002B2F49FB} (Microsoft Common Dialog Control, version 6.0) - file://E:\Nav Studio\program\comdlg32.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EDB0D059-8E51-48B3-9F1D-46165F0D457C}: NameServer = 60.234.1.1 60.234.2.2<Onlyfix this, if it doesn`t belong to your ISP.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: SideBySide - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhintf.dll (file missing)

O21 - SSODL: LcOmuDAh - {8815EA14-22BF-40BE-A986-2C688DA0F7DC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\eio.dll (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files(if there).

C:\Program Files\Poker.com\poker.exe

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Regards Howard :)

Hi Howard,

many thanks for that, I did exactly what you said.

I am still getting strange data uploading traffic at an amazing rate and I would love to know where this is going, what the content of it is and what is causing it !

Is there anyway I can see what this data is that is leaving my pc ?

Since I started typing this reply, 900kb has gone out into cyberspace !

thanks,

Simon

Post a fresh HJT log as an attachment.

It may be nothing to worry about. It could be one of your programmes auto updating.

If you open your task manager and click on the processes tab, look to see what`s running and what coincides with the net activity.

do you use any p2p programs, if you do then limit the amount it uploads. also to see what connections you have, open command prompt, and type in "nbtstat -S" (without quotes), and it should list open connections. (i think this only works for LAN)

I found a service running in Taskmanager called netmonitor, I tracked this down to a file called netmon.exe which I removed from the system.

For a while I thought I had solved the strange data upload problem as there was no more upload traffic leaving my PC. After a while though I got the problem where I could not open any programs again so had to reboot. I am back online now and once again I have chunks of data uploading somewhere.

I am not using any P2P software and there is nothing in Taskmanager or procexp.exe that I can see would be responsible for sending data. Any software that was receiving automatic updates would surely show incoming data transfer, not mass outgoing data transfer.

I have uploaded my latest hijackthis log.

thanks,

Simon

netmon.exe is not a desirable programme to have on your computer. I suggest you uninstall it frrom add remove programmes asap.

It doesn`t show up in your HJT log though, which is clean BTW.

I also suggest you uninstall Flashget as this may be contibuting to your problem. If you really need to use a download manager, get the Stardownloader from HERE.

I`ve noticed that you have an awful lot of Adobe entries in your HJT log.

Let HJT fix them, unless you really need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back