TechSpot

Problems partitioning SATA HDD with Windows XP Pro

By kenshin512
Dec 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi. I have recently built a new computer. After I installed Windows XP pro, i found that I only could see about 100 gigs of my 500 gig hdd. I was hoping if there was anyway to access the remaining space. My computer stats are listed below. Thanks.

-Windows XP Pro
    -ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
    -Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
    -EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
    -Maxtor SATA II/300 Internal HDD 500GB x2
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,712

3. kenshin512

kenshin512 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, but I've already tried that solution. Does anyone know how to access the partition settings for XP? In the bios, i see both drives and its full capacity, so I'm thinking its a XP problem.
  4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,712

The BIOS sees an 'naked' drive and knows not about any format or partition. So did you select full capacity when you installed XP?
    Check in Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management to see if you primary HDD 0 is formatted to full capacity. You need someething like Partition Magic to change the partitions on the fly or you could create a second partition on the same drive.
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

check for a limit jumper on drive
    check is OS xp without service pk 1 or 2
    after install can you see unformatted space in disk manager
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.