Problems starting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just unpluged my hdd jumper from my mobo and after putting the computer back together when I press the power button the case fan will spin for a half a second and so will the power supply fan and then everything will shut off. I an wondering if this is a power supply problem or if my mobo is dead. My power supply is a logisys 575 watt model PS575XBK.

Have you tried pulling the wire from the power supply for a minute or two, to allow
it to fully reset ?

Sorry to hear that. Assuming, you did unplug the HDD while the the mobo was still "live"
(I'm inferring this,because you didn't actually say) you may be unlucky, because I've never
heard of that actually damaging anything.

I would retrace all my steps and check all the connections. (Unplug the PS first).

I tested the computer with a 300watt power supply that was laying around the house and the computer booted to BIOS. Asuming this was my problem a bought a new power supply and it is doing the same thing the origional one was doing. I was also wondering if the power supply has to much output for my mobo

Never heard of a power supply having "to much output". In general, the PS at any time only
provides the power that is drawn and no more. (The rest is in reserve) .
Make sure the board is not shorting out on the case anywhere. It might be worth
removing the motherboard check the back and the case for any snags.

Where is the HD jumper set now? Have you tried it with it set to master and cable select (cs)? Possibly the CPU fan wire isn't connected or connected good. That would cause the problem you are describing

When you say you unplugged your hdd jumper from your motherboard what do you mean?

Did you move the small jumpers on the back of your hard drive? if so make sure you have it set to the correct setting.. Eg master, slave, or cable select.

Or did you unplug the ide ribbon cable from the motherboard?

Was the power still on when you did what you did?

The computer was off and I had just unpluged the hdd light jumper that connects to the case and the problem has nothing to do with that. The computer will only turn on when I plug my old 300w ps in, but the ps that was in it when the problem started works when I pug it into another mobo. Its like my motherboard will only work with this one ps and is picky all the sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back