Problems Starting Pc After New Graphics Card

By badger01
Mar 9, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have installed a new Radeon 9800 pro and now when I try to start the computer the CPU and case fans spin for a second and then nothing. With the power cable disconnected from the card the pc starts up but then, obviously, I get the audible warning and my screen tells me that I haven't connected the graphics card. Have I fried something? Help!!!
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What psu do you have?

Is it capable of supplying enough power with your new graphics card?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. badger01

badger01 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have an ATX 350w PSU and haven't had any trouble in the past. I tried something new. I turned the pc on with the power cable to the graphics card disconnected. When the fans began spinning I then connected the power cable and the system started normally. However when I try to start again with the cable in place the original trouble began again.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

IMHO it sounds like a psu problem.

A lot of generic psu`s don`t really give anywhere near what they claim.

I would recommend a good quality psu around 400 watts maybe Antec or Thermaltake etc.

Regards Howard :grinthumb
  5. badger01

I'll give it a try

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
  6. badger01

Your humble opinion was absolutely spot on. I replaced the 350w PSU with a 450w and she started up fine.
    One further small matter> On start up I keep getting a warning message"The smsse.exe application cannot be run in Win 32 mode". If I click the ok button it disappears. This does not affest the system but it's just annoying having it pop up every time I start up.
  7. ModGuru

ModGuru Newcomer, in training Posts: 20

Check out this information about the smss.exe
  8. badger01

Thanks for the info. The error disappeared as suddenly as it arrived without any help from me!
    Why does my mozilla firefox insist on writing itself in Spanish??!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.