Problems trying to safely remove hardware - 'Generic Volume'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

When I try to safely remove my LaCie external hard using the safely remove hardware icon in the bottom tray, I get an error message: 'The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it.' There are no programs accessing the drive as I only use it for storage. Does anyone know how I eliminate this problem?

Thanks.

ejecting hardware

H -thanks for your feedback.

I tried this but it still won't come up with the line 'safely remove hardware'. It still says generic volume cannot be stopped at this time, please try again later....

Any other suggestions???

Is that a Firewire drive? I have only experience with USB. Under W2K I need to close Powerdesk (which I use instead of Explorer), then click Remove HW, and it works.
Under XP I just pull the plug/USB-key.

With Explorer still open, click on another drive before you close it. Windows has many weird quirks!

Any drive management software will do that Partition magic, also Anti virus , and Spybot Tea timer , Windows file search,etc..Check through services in program manager. Turn off the ones you are allowed to stop (Usually have yor user name listed beside each one) one at a time Your drive will be released .
Then in the property sheet for that program look for a way to disable the inclusion of that drive in the software propram.
Eg. Diskeeper would check my removable drive ,so I removed that drive from Diskeeper's seach

Use proceXP software to release explorer lockouts

carkti said:
Hello!

When I try to safely remove my LaCie external hard using the safely remove hardware icon in the bottom tray, I get an error message: 'The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it.' There are no programs accessing the drive as I only use it for storage. Does anyone know how I eliminate this problem?

Thanks.

Use ProceXP software to identify process and handle blocking file/path ,often this is due to a explorer process that not release the device.

carkti

I'd start with OpenedFilesView. "OpenedFilesView displays the list of all opened files on your system. For each opened file, additional information is displayed: handle value, read/write/delete access, file position, the process that opened the file, and more... "

Better still, you can click the column header of open files to alpha sort all of them which should make it easier to identify files on the drive in question (will be sorted by drive letter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back