Problems upgrading PSU 300W to 350W

By bazzajunior
Oct 3, 2005
  1. Hi there,

I've recently installed a new Jeantech 350W power supply to replace a 300W PSU that came with my case after it started making terrible sounds. When I installed the new PSU all seemed great until I found that windows kept restarting and prompting me with an error on the boot screen with NTLDR missing (press CTRL ALT DELETE)

After multiple cable checks and software fixes (none involving the windows XP CD - don't have one, long story) I thought that maybe it would be the PSU since this started just after installing it and yup, old PSU back in and the problem has stopped.

I've checked just about every forum and search engine for this glitch but can't find anything so am desperate for ideas.

I wasn't sure if there are any jumpers or drivers that I may have missed but since this is a PSU I didn't think drivers would be a problem.

Any Advice would be a really big help

Barry C
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Power supplies are a nightmare to work with, especially budget power supplies. The hard part is, the wattage "ratings" are not standardized. In otherwords, it is very possible that your 300W PSU gives out more juice than your 350W PSU.

I don't know anything about the one you bought, but I'd say one of the following is true:

1. Your new PSU is faulty and needs to be returned
    2. Your system requires more power than the new PSU is pumping out.

What are the specs of your computer?
  3. bazzajunior

bazzajunior TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry, I did forget to supply the PC specs:

Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2.4Ghz
    768Mb RAM SD DDR
    2 x HD (60Gb and 30Gb)
    Asus Nvidia FX5700 256Mb Graphics Card
    DVD RW and CD RW drives

The PSU from Jeantech of course specifies 350W but as you say this may be untrue (I have emailed them this problem and so llets see what they say).

The PSU details are here:

but the linking pages to each PSU are dead.

I had a sinking feeling when I posted this that the PSU was gonna be dodgy, ah well, live and learn.
  4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Well, according to your system specs, you SHOULD be OK with 350watts, but I have to say I am surprised you were running on that 300W PSU. It must have been a good one! :eek:

Anyways, you may want to try and return that one you just bought and get one from a reliable maker. Antec and enermax are two good ones.
  5. bazzajunior

It was by a company called Mercury-PC but after looking at the newer ones they do seem to be priced at £10-15 which is fairly cheap so I guess I've just been lucky - mind you that could be why it has now started to give up - worn it out!

I guess it'll be back to PC World at the weekend. *Sigh*

Thanks for your help on the matter though.
  6. bazzajunior

Hmmm looking at my options on PC world it's either Jeantech or a company called Hiper which does feature a rather novel cable system (aviation style no less?!).

Does anyone else have this PSU? Be nice to not make another mistake. I'm guessing that upgrading from 300W to 580W will not be a problem?
  7. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 669

I'm not familiar with that PSU but from the pictures, I'd say double check you've got room in your case for it. Those modular jacks will require a substantial amount of space and may not fit with your optical drives.
  8. bazzajunior

Yeah, I must admit that it does look a bit odd. Thankfully my machine is fairly spacious so I'm hoping this won't be a problem.

As a sidenote I've emailed Jeantech and have had no reply since - I'm beginning to have serious doubts about this company...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.