Problems with ABIT VT7 and PNY nVidia GeForce 6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWLG7691

Ok, I have had my ABIT board for over a year, and was running an older GeForce 5200 without problems. I wanted to upgrade, but ever since I have installed the new card, the system will go to a black screen, and sometimes will reboot. (this usually happens when playing WoW, but has happened once or twice on the system itself). I have reinstalled WinXP, replaced the power supply, replaced hard drive, updated CMOS, downloaded the new driver dated 9-2-05 for the 6600, and even tried a new VT7 motherboard... nothing. I have done several virus scans (using Norton 2005) and spyware scans (using Spybot) but no dice. I have 1G of RAM, and a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz CPU, with VIA chipset.

This is about to make me go crazy. Is the VT7 just too old for the 6600?

Your board should be compatible, as it's agp 8x/4x compatible. You did get an agp 6600, and not a pci-e 6600 correct? If you do have an agp 6600, you probably just got a dud card if you have issues, since you've tried most everything else.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Try going HERE
select the OS you have. Try the new hyperion 500a via chipset drivers.
They have helped with quite few similar prob's.
I have same board with 6800..
I hope this proves to help.
G'Luck

Ok, tried that. Didn't work either. It seems like it is getting worse. On occassion, it won't even get past the POST test, and occassionally complains about a corrupt Windows file (a different one each time) or a checksum error. I have run virus and spyware scans, but nothing shows.

I am about 2 seconds from going to the dark side (which means I will take it to a tech, and pay someone money for something I should be able to fix).

HELP!!!!!!

This is starting to sound like a ram prob..
CWLG7691 said:
Ok, tried that. Didn't work either. It seems like it is getting worse. On occassion, it won't even get past the POST test, and occassionally complains about a corrupt Windows file (a different one each time) or a checksum error. I have run virus and spyware scans, but nothing shows.

I was thinking along the same lines. But when I got a brand new RAM chip, same thing. I am almost positive that it is something to do with my video card. I think tonight I am going to put my old card back in, and see what happens. If that fixes it, well, then I have an extra 6600. I'll drop it into my kid's computer (which is blasphemy, because it is a AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz, and only has 512 RAM, but might actually help it along)

hi, assuming your using xp, remove the old driver first iether in add and remove programs or in device manager, to get to device manager right click my puter and hit properties, a dialog will appear, click hardware tab then hit device manager, in there double hit display adapters, then right click the appearing adapter then hit uninstall.

close everthing and you will be prompted to restart, restart the pc, upon restarting windows will detect your card and try to install drivers, click cancel and put in your driver cd for the 6600 or get the driver from nvidias site http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

run the driver and restart when promted, your done, have fun :)

and so it goes on...

Ok, here is the latest. I fdisked the whole thing. pulled every card, save the 6600. reinstalled windows. reinstalled all the chipsets, onboard sound, etc. reinstalled the 6600 drivers. rebooted about a million times. installed the network card. got online. got the newest bios and chipset drivers. installed those. rebooted a million more times. got updated 6600 drivers. rebooted again. downloaded all the windows updates. reboot a few times more. So now the system is full stripped, and basic. I start to install WoW. hangs during the installation, and when I moved the mouse, it rebooted. (oddly enough, when it rebooted, it reverted back to the original settings in my task bar. I had hidden a few icons, but they returned). so I delete the partially installed game. Reinstall it. was downloading the updates for it, and it locks. the screen simply goes blank, and the monitor goes into a power saving mode. No HD light, no sounds of anything working. just hangs. can't ctrl-alt-delete. kill the main power switch. sit and wait. try to turn in back on. Nothing. Not even a post test. change out the ram chips. nothing. restore the original bios. nothing.

This is truly messing me up. I have never had such problems. and I have about replaced everything:

motherboard
hard drive
ram
bios battery
power supply
video card
Windows

HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!!!

I found this on somewhere else after searching all day. i going to try it when i get hom hopefully it will work.

I did have a problem with random freezing mainly noticed in FarCry (very card stressful) and when attempting to bench in '03

Yes I know there have been several threads but no one has posted a concrete solution. This worked for me and ALOT of other people in the OCUK forum.

First of all I thought heat, then I thought power related. However after lots of testing and forum posts it turns out it was Fast Writes being enabled causing it. I cant take credit but it definitly fixed the problem.

Interestingly disabling it in bios did not disable it in windows and I had to disable it using RivaTuner.Download Here

Also instersetingly for people not experiancing this, disabling Fast Writes appears to allow higher overclocks for people using all types of 6800s.

This appears to be a problem specifically on the nforce3 150/250/Pro/non-pro chipset ironically (as far as we know).

The problem has been posted by people in various places but its never been categorically fixed to my knowledge anyway (I did lots of googling believe me!). So I felt it best to post as a FYI for people.

Hope this helps.

CWLG7691 said:
Ok, I have had my ABIT board for over a year, and was running an older GeForce 5200 without problems. I wanted to upgrade, but ever since I have installed the new card, the system will go to a black screen, and sometimes will reboot. (this usually happens when playing WoW, but has happened once or twice on the system itself). I have reinstalled WinXP, replaced the power supply, replaced hard drive, updated CMOS, downloaded the new driver dated 9-2-05 for the 6600, and even tried a new VT7 motherboard... nothing. I have done several virus scans (using Norton 2005) and spyware scans (using Spybot) but no dice. I have 1G of RAM, and a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz CPU, with VIA chipset.

This is about to make me go crazy. Is the VT7 just too old for the 6600?

This problem i know of first hand, nVidia has had compatiblity problems..........

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.77.html

This version of drivers could prove to help your problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back