Problems with AIW x800xt (Freezes, Lockups and "No Signal")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregorl

I recently bought a new AIW x800xt AGP 256 and for some reason I cant run 3d games for an extended periods of time without freezing, or getting "No Signal" in the monitor. But when I tried to set the AGP Speed to 4X, everything is suddenly fixed meaning 8x freezes games on me. I tried all of the Catalyst Driver and it still freezes on me at 8x speed. It could be that my PSU is the culpirit but I dont really know. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

These are my Specs:

Athlon64 3000 Processor
ASRock K8Upgrade
512 & 1Gb Hynix ram
2 Western Digital HD
AIW x800xt AGP 256
420w PS (Unknown of the brand but the sticker says Raidmax)
Old Drivers Uninstalled

Temperatures
GPU Temp = 36 degrees
GPU Environment = 38 degrees

4x working fine, but 8x causing problems is almost always an indicator of a VIA chipset motherboard.

You can TRY different/older/newer versions of the Hyperion and 4-in-1 kits from viaarena.com, as well as going into SmartGART and checking AGP read/write (usually has one disabled).

Yep Sharkfood you hit the mark. It is a VIA chipset motherboard. AGP Read/Write are currently on right now and i''ve updated my chipset to Hyperion Pro (4/7/06)

For voltage, I dont have speedfan but i have this hmonitor that measures voltage too.

These are the current voltage:

+12V = +11.49V
+5V = +5.14V
Core = +1.46V
I/O = +3.38V

That 12V voltage isn´t very good. That could be the cause of the problem. If you can afford it, I would change the PSU.

You live in Canada right?

Also, tell us how much can you spend. Brands like Antec, FSP Group, and OCZ are very good and reliable units.

Well guys, im really out of idea, ATI Support sucks *** in service, Via Arena Forum dont really go anywhere on fixing the problem between VIA and ATI Lockups. I'm still unsure whether to buy a new power supply or a new fan for my processor. So right now, I'm stuck using my card at 4X speed <_<

Hi Gregorl,
Actually, you wont see any real difference in performance between AGP 4x and 8x.. honestly. It's really an almost immeasurable difference.

What does SmartGART read? If you're really up to try to get AGP 8x to work, I'd suggest the following:
1) Try the older, HyperionPro 5.04A drivers as these have the older V4.xx AGP driver. You can find these mirrored at:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1215
2) In your BIOS, disable FastWrites. ONLY if your BIOS has no such option, disable it in SmartGART.
3) In SmartGART, disable AGP Writes.

Realize for *most* VIA chipset mainboards, SmartGART will usually automatically disable FastWrites and AGP Writes to maintain stability.

Power feed, chipset cooling and memory quality is also going to be critical with that motherboard.

While I'm unsure if replacing the PSU will fix your problem, as Don mentioned.. RaidMax's can be problematic for stable power feed- which these VIA chipsets are more finicky concerning.

Make sure any fans on the mainboard chipsets are also spinning and clear of dust/debris.

Memory quality is also tight with these as they sometimes enable memory interleave for performance. See if you have any interleave settings in the BIOS you can change in hopes of getting stability. Changing between None, 2-way and 4-way.. with 4-way being the fastest, but less stable.. None being slowest, and most stable.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Should I remove the old ones or update it when i run setup?

Update:

Well I tried what you, but it still doesn't work. . Oh wellz I guess I'm stuck at 4x indefinitely. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back