TechSpot

Problems with browser & email cws.Qttasks ?

By Pazuzu
Nov 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have had problems with Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird. I ran Spybot S&D - it found a problem with Windows Security Center .AntivirusDisable Notify & I opted to fix.
    CW Shredder found & removed cws.Qttasks but trying to update CWshrredder so far unsuccessful. I do have browser function now but still no email via Thunderbird .am wondering what to do now. I would post a HijackThis (AS A .TXt attachment) - but , trying to boot in safe mode results in the system freezing after a screen or two of files loading.
    After trying to check for update CWS it was difficult to shut down - Task manager failed to end tasks & I had to power off.
    Any ideas?

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

3. Pazuzu

Pazuzu TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 215

Thanks. At the moment I can't re-boot in safe mode. Using the F8 method & selecting option at top of list or the third (the one with command prompt) I get a screenful of lines the bottom one reads:-
    multi(0)disk(0)r disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\AGPcpq.SYS
    During normal boot up there is a warning box saying that Norton 2005 won't work with repair & something about Install.

4. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

5. Pazuzu

download & run AboutBuster

I rebooted in safe mode & selected an option to use last known successful system configuration or instance of re-starting. I declined to accept that(I reognised it as a very old config) & booted again which gaver me a more recent config.
    I will try Rick's sticky & try to get safe mode boot & a Hijack scan , but I just tried downloading AboutBuster from the link in the above & findthat it asks for a password when I click on update(it says database is missing).does anyone know anothe way to get buster up & runing? I tried searching the www.bleepingcomputer.com site but no success.

6. Pazuzu

Ditch norton & use AVG with Sygate spf ?

As my Norton 2005 needs renewal soon I am about to install the Sygate spf firewall & use AVG virus checker.
    I see the message that Norton is not compatable with Repair when XP boots & suspect thet some conflict here is part of the problem.
    Thunderbird is still not working - trying to get mail or send fails with no error message -the little green dots move left to right but nothing else seems to happen.
    I have attached a recent HijackThis as a .txt

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

reinstall norton. Disable the ant-virus component.

8. Pazuzu

Problem solved

:) Thanks to all. Disabled Norton Firewall -eureka! No more"Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature" & emails restored.

As for turning off the AntiVirus & going online I suggest that Clint Eastwood put it well :-"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I didn't say take out the anti-virus and go online. I SAID remove the norton anti-virus component and implied that you replace it with another.

Norton firewall is nortoriously troublesome. Remove it and replace it with zonealarm.
    Norton utilities is a fine tool. I have used it for years.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.