Problems with CD Burners

By c4nn4b1s
Sep 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lately it would seem that i am unable to burn cds with any sort of cd burner. I first used a BenQ External CD-RW and today purchased a Sony internal CD-R/RW. I attempted to burn a cd using both Nero 6 and WMP 10 and was unsuccesful. The files convert fine but when the burner begins to spin it quickly dies down again and burning ends telling me that i should insert a different CD. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks. :confused:
  2. Eleventeen

Eleventeen Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

Dont know if this really matters, but are you using CD+R discs instead of CD-R?
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,430   +281

There are only CD-R disks, they aren't like DVDs and have both + and -.

You could check to see that the drive is operating in DMA mode rather than PIO mode. For you internal you can check on the IDE controller its on in Device Manager. I don't know for your External but you should be able to find it in the device manager if you poke around some.
  4. c4nn4b1s

c4nn4b1s Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I can't seem to find this DMA control anywhere. My burner is listed under DVD/CD-ROM drives and not under IDE. I don't know if this would be a clue since the DMA option isn't listed under the any of the tabs when i open properties on it. I just recently installed my Audigy 2 Value within the last couple months but am unsure if that is causing a problem.
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,430   +281

I told you the DMA/PIO on your IDE controller in Device Manager. Look there, NOT at your drive.
    [​IMG]
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.